The NASCAR accident involving Tony Stewart and the death of his fellow driver will not lead to criminal charges against Stewart according to reports from the New York prosecution service who reviewed the photographs and video of the accident, as well as hearing from around two dozen witnesses.
According to the WSJ:
The grand jury met this week to hear testimony and review evidence in the Aug. 9 incident that killed 20-year-old Kevin Ward Jr., who was standing on a dirt track when Stewart’s car struck him. Police spent more than a month investigating before turning evidence over to the county.
Ontario County District Attorney Michael Tantillo said: “After listening to and questioning all of the witnesses, and reviewing all of the evidence, the grand jury has determined that there is no basis to charge Tony Stewart with any crimes,” Tantillo said in a statement.
The accident occurred as the cars were under caution and coming out of a turn at Canandaigua Motorsports Park. A video taken by a fan shows that Stewart’s and Ward’s cars previously tangled and that Ward’s car hit the wall. Ward then got out of his vehicle and was standing in the middle of the track shaking his fist as Stewart came around the oval.
Mr. Stewart, who has declined to talk directly about the incident, returned to the track last month after skipping several races following the tragedy.
Like This Article in PDF?
Just enter your email below and we'll forward to your inbox immediately.