Authorities, who closed the investigation after about two weeks, also dismissed an allegation that the boy’s mother had neglected him, according to the memo.
A spokesman for the Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services, which issued the memo, confirmed to it was genuine and that the investigation had taken place.
“The document is authentic and our department is investigating how it was leaked,” spokesman Neil Zanville told Reuters, adding that California state laws regulating child welfare prohibited him from commenting further.
“The investigation by the Sensitive Case Unit concluded the allegations of neglect and sexual abuse to be unfounded both by the LAPD-Wilshire Division and the Department (of Children and Family Services),” said the memo, written on November 26.
There was no indication that authorities had interviewed Jackson, who was arrested last month by Santa Barbara County Sheriffs on suspicion of molesting a 13-year-old boy.
MOTHER, BOYS DENY ALLEGATIONS
Jackson, who was released on $3 million bail, has been mostly in seclusion since his arrest but released a statement calling the allegations a “big lie.”
The 45-year-old singer, who lives at the sprawling Neverland Valley Ranch in the hills above Santa Barbara, is not named in the memo and is referred to only as “the entertainer.”
Santa Barbara County prosecutors, who are expected to file child molestation charges against Jackson next week, said they would release a statement regarding the memo shortly.
An LAPD spokeswoman said police were “trying to see what involvement we had” in the case and declined to comment. Jackson’s lawyer, Mark Geragos, could not be reached.