LawFuel.com – Legal Newswire Service –
NEW YORK (July 13, 2009) – Legal Times, a product of The National Law Journal, today named its 2009 “40 Under 40” list of Washington’s rising legal stars. Selected by the publication’s editors based on nominations from the D.C. legal community and the Legal Times reporting team, these individuals are expected to play a leading role at law firms, in government, and in shaping the practice of law in Washington in the years to come. The “40 Under 40” will be honored at the annual Legal Times awards gala in October. For the complete list, visit www.legaltimes.com.
The group includes more than two dozen lawyers from private Washington law firms, as well as officials from the U.S. Department of Justice and the U.S. Solicitor General’s Office, committee staff from Capitol Hill and advocates from public interest groups and lobby shops in the District. The lawyers and lobbyists selected have created winning litigation strategies, engineered major corporate deals, shaped public policy, built public interest programs and advanced legal thinking.
Those named to this year’s “40 Under 40” list include:
· Elisebeth Cook, Republican chief counsel for Supreme Court nominations, Senate Judiciary Committee
· Jared Genser, partner, DLA Piper, and human rights defender, whose clients include Aung San Suu Kyi
· Alan Gura, partner, Gura & Possessky, and winner of the notable D.C. v. Heller Second Amendment case
· Brian Heberlig, partner, Steptoe & Johnson, and white-collar defense expert
· Neal Katyal, principal deputy solicitor general, U.S. Department of Justice
· Kannon Shanmugam, partner, Williams & Connolly, and noted Supreme Court advocate
“If you’re looking for a guide to power in Washington in the years ahead, this list is a good place to start,” said David Brown, editor in chief. “In the future, we believe these lawyers and lobbyists will dominate private practice, the Hill, the agencies, and the courts.”
Founded in 1978, The National Law Journal has the largest paid circulation of any weekly publication serving the legal community and is an Incisive Media property.
Incisive Media is a leading global provider of specialized business news and information, in print, in person and online. The company’s principal markets include financial services, legal services, commercial real estate, marketing services and risk management. Incisive Media’s market-leading brands include Accountancy Age, Computing, Investment Week, Legal Week, LegalTech, Post, Real Estate Forum, Risk, Search Engine Strategies and The American Lawyer. For more information, visit www.incisivemedia.com.