What is asbestos? Asbestos is any of several minerals that readily separate into long, flexible fibres. Chrysotile is the most common type and accounts for about 95 percent of all asbestos in commercial use. Asbestos was mined in Australia from the 1940s to late 1980s and used in a variety of materials and products.The fibre was formerly widely used inbrake linings, gaskets, and insulation; and inroofing shingles, floor and ceiling tiles, cement pipes, and otherbuilding materials.
Inhaling asbestos fibres can cause health risks such as asbestosis, mesothelioma and lung cancer. Majority of people who have contracted these diseases have a long history of exposure to asbestos and spanning over a long period of time.
Safe asbestos removal practices:
* You must not cut, grind or break asbestos sheeting
* Appropriate protective equipment needs to be used, eg Australian Standards Protection Level 2 (P2) minimum half face disposable mask, disposable coveralls, protective gloves, goggles, steel cap boots
* Asbestos sheets needs to be removed with minimal breakage and must be kept wet to limit the release of fibres
* Asbestos needs to be doubled wrapped in builders plastic 200um thick
* Asbestos needs to be disposed of at a licensed disposal landfill or transfer station, WSN Environmental Solutions have several sites that accept asbestos
* Asbestos removal should not take place on windy days
Sydney City Asbestos (SCA) is an asbestos remediation business specialising in the residential asbestos market. This way we are able to provide a safe & professional remediation service at affordable prices for consumers. Need a quote? Call Us Now On 0405 610 006 and we can usually give you a firm quote over the phone.