The global pandemic has affected Australian law firms less than many others globally, although it is seeing partners everywhere working harder.
The Thomson-Reuters State of the Legal Market: 2020 report showed higher demand from clients and revenue for the Australian firms with legal services rising by over 6 per cent for the final quarter of 2019-20 compared to the final quarter of the previous year.
However, demand fell 5.9 per cent in the United States, 3.8 per cent in the United Kingdom and 14 per cent in Asia.
The report looked at the four key performance measures, demand, revenue, hourly fees and lawyer growth, showed that Australian law firms outperformed those in Asia, the US and the UK from April to June 2020.
Most of the global response to the virus outbreak occurred in the final three months of the financial year, and demand contractions were the norm at law firms the world over – everywhere, that is, except Australia.”
Peer Monitor draws data from 16 leading firms, eight of which have an average of 700 and eight with an average 250 lawyers. Worldwide there are 200 firms involved, most of them being major law firms in their respective markets.
The report shows that fees worked, a proxy for revenue, grew by 8.4 per cent year on year in the fourth quarter amid the pandemic when the Australian economy went into recession.
But the average hourly charge grew by 2.3 per cent, lower in Australia than elsewhere. And Australia lead the growth in lawyer-number growth, with 5.5 per cent on the same three months in 2019.
Australian law firms also took pole position with productivity as well, with a rise of 0.2 per cent when most law firms were adopting a remote-working model.
There were big falls in the other regions – US and UK down by over 7 per cent and Asia by almost 20 per cent.
- The London Law Gold Rush Sees Lateral Hires For Up To $7 MillionThe London offices of large US law firms are snapping senior legal talent – but they’re sometimes missing the concept of […] More
- Who Are The Power Law Firms Getting A Cut In The Bill & Melinda Gates Divorce?. . And Who Are The Two Sole Practice Attorneys Who Are Facing Off Again In Their Second Multi-Billionaire Divorce Proceeding […] More
- 7 Key Questions To Ask ANY Law Firm SEO Agency BEFORE You Hire ThemHiring a law firm SEO agency requires some smart ‘interview’ techniques – here are some key questions to ask More
- Litigation PR: an important tool in the litigation toolboxLitigation PR is increasingly popular overseas . . and catching on in New Zealand, lead by a two-woman power team Litigation […] More
- Two New Partners at Edwin Coe5 May 2021 – Powered by LawFuel Edwin Coe is delighted to announce that Claire Lehr (Intellectual Property) and James Walton (Banking […] More
- The Big Law Death Row Success Story of Crosley GreenThe story of how Crowell & Moring Helped free Crosley Green 32 years’ prison . . including 19 years on death row […] More
- Law Firm HFW Expands Greater China Transactional Practice With Shanghai In-House HiresGlobal, sector-focused law firm HFW has continued to expand its fast-growing Greater China transactional practice with the hire of senior partner […] More