(LAWFUEL) – In the most active construction industry market in the world, two of the region’s top construction law teams have joined forces. Building on its position as a top tier construction law practice, International law firm Clyde & Co LLP has announced a series of lateral hires that reinforces its position as legal advisor to the region’s construction industry.
Construction partner Mark Blanksby, along with associates Anna Scannell and Elise Gillians, join from the Dubai office of a joint venture between Pinsent Masons and Galadari Associates. Mark became a partner with Pinsent Masons in 2001. Also joining the team in Clyde & Co’s Abu Dhabi office is associate Emma Shepherd. All the new joiners are already based in the region. The firm expects to make a further announcement in relation to additional arrivals, including another partner into the construction practice, in the coming months.
Collectively, the teams have advised on some of the largest and most complex projects in the region, including the Burj Dubai, the expansion of Dubai International Airport, Saadiyat Bridge in Abu Dhabi and Doha’s tallest tower, with a client base that reads like a who’s who of the regional construction, project and development industry.
Mark Blanksby said: “I am thrilled to be joining Clyde & Co. Joining forces with Michael and his existing team based in Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Doha provides an exciting opportunity to build on the strong connections that we both have in the regional construction market, and to provide a team with capabilities and a depth of knowledge that simply cannot be matched by any other law firm in the Region.”
Michael Grose said: “Adding a construction lawyer of Mark’s calibre and reputation to Clyde’s construction team, along with Anna, Elise and Emma will ensure that the firm can continue to meet rapidly increasing demand for the highest quality legal services. Mark has been Clyde & Co’s leading competitor in the Middle East over the last few years and I look forward to teaming up with him to put Clyde & Co’s reputation as the leading construction practice in the region beyond doubt.”
The four recent recruits boost Clyde & Co’s specialist construction team numbers to a combined total of ten partners and associates who work alongside a similarly top-of-market specialist property practice of nine partners and associates.
The position of Clyde & Co’s leading construction law team in the region is acknowledged by the likes of the 2008 edition of the respected international legal directory Chambers Global which comments: “Of the international firms, [Clyde & Co] is “most impressive for any construction matter, whether transactional or contentious.”
Clyde & Co is largest international law firm in the GCC with 130+ lawyers & paralegals across offices in Abu Dhabi, Dubai and Doha, offering clients dedicated teams of specialists in each sector and area of expertise. The firm is on track to bring on-board an additional 50 legal staff this financial year, after adding an additional 45 lawyers in the 2007/08 year. Total staff numbers for the firm in the GCC are currently 220.
Background: Legal Directory Quotes – ‘Construction’
Clyde & Co is the only firm ranked ‘Tier 1’ for Construction (and Real Estate) in both the Chambers Global and Legal 500 legal directories
(2008) quotes about Clyde & Co’s construction practice:
• “Of the international firms, this one is “most impressive for any construction matter, whether transactional or contentious.” – Chambers Global (2008)
• “The lawyers are particularly fêted for their disputes abilities, and are frequently involved in international arbitration throughout the Middle East.” – Chambers Global (2008)
• “Both clients and peers agree that “Clyde & Co is huge in the region and guaranteed to be on all the best panels.” – Chambers Global (2008)
2008 quotes about Michael Grose:
• Michael Grose – Tier 1 : Contentious construction matters – Chambers Global (2008)
• “Michael Grose is the firm’s most popular construction lawyer. Clients describe him as “the best combination of a strong, analytical black-letter lawyer and a pragmatic commercial adviser,” whilst peers declared: “He has been here longer than most and knows the law inside out.” – Chambers Global (2008)
2008 quotes about Mark Blanksby:
• Mark Blanksby – Tier 1 : Non contentious construction matters – Chambers Global (2008)
– Tier 2 : Contentious construction matters – Chambers Global (2008)
• “An experienced specialist in contentious and transactional construction. Peers say: “There are few lawyers who call themselves construction specialists – fewer still who are any good. Mark Blanksby is definitely one of the few.” – Chambers Global (2008)
• “One of the foremost construction practitioners in the UAE, with unrivalled connections to the most active contractors in the region.” – Legal 500 (2008)
– END –