London — DLA Piper has today launched the third part of a significant piece of qualitative research, which takes an in-depth look at the hotly debated topics of piracy and the disruptive impact of digital technology and analyses how businesses are responding to these challenges in order to protect and exploit their digital assets: http://www.dlapipershiftinglandscapes.com/.
‘Shifting Landscapes – the online challenge to traditional business models’, combines in-depth interviews with business leaders from organisations at the forefront of web-enabled innovation – including Random House, Nokia, Sony Music and Warner Brothers – with extensive secondary research and analysis.
Shifting Landscapes is a three part report which looks at:
• The development of online channels to market
• The impact of cloud computing
• The challenge of valuing, protecting and exploiting digital assets
Part three – digital assets, which launches today, addresses the challenge of how businesses first identify their digital assets and then value, protect and monetise them. It includes insight from business leaders, including Ian Grant who shares his experience at Encyclopaedia Britannica: “We struggled at first because we published all our material online for free – the idea was to get revenue from selling advertising space. However, millions of people looked at it and we didn’t know how to
monetise the traffic. Within a year, we had done a handbrake turn and changed our offering into a subscription product”.
The report also addresses the challenges that the current legal framework poses. James Waterworth from Nokia points out: “The lawmakers and policymakers have to live with multi-jurisdictional fact, rather than trying to ignore it. There is a danger that policymakers will say ‘It’s multi-jurisdictional and I can’t control it, so therefore I must fragment the internet. Then I can control my bit, and others will control their bit.”
Part one – Online channels to market, which launched 4 May, suggests that whilst all businesses understand the significant opportunities the internet offers, many feel that they are not able to fully exploit them.
Part two – Cloud computing, which launched 1 June, investigates the opportunities that cloud computing offers businesses, including: cost and time efficiencies; dynamic scalability and flexibility; access to enterprise-level IT resources, and greener use of IT. It also addresses some key challenges, such as data protection and security, and the current lack of consistent, international legal protection.
For more information, or to request a copy of part one, two or three of Shifting Landscapes, please contact: Penny Jones, The PR Office, Tel: +44 (0) 207 284 6954 or email email@example.com
Or visit: http://www.dlapipershiftinglandscapes.com/
Or join the Shifting Landscapes LinkedIn group: http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Shifting-Landscapes.
Notes to editors:
1. DLA Piper is one of the world’s largest legal practices with 4,200 lawyers in more than 76 offices and 30 countries. From its offices across Asia, Europe, the Middle East and the United States, legal and business advisers provide a comprehensive range of services to local, regional and international businesses.
2. With more than 400 dedicated IP lawyers, DLA Piper helps clients develop, protect and enforce all forms of IP rights across the globe. With a deep knowledge base – more commonly associated with boutique IP law firms – and the resources, wider commercial perspective and multidisciplinary approach of a leading global firm; the IP group is able to provide a seamless service on the largest and most complex projects. The group is recognised by legal directories and industry members as one of the leading teams of its kind.
3. DLA Piper received an award for Outstanding Achievement at the 2010 Legal Business Awards and is ranked 3rd by revenue in the Legal Business Global 100 2010. In May 2011 it was ranked 1st among the world’s leading global law firms in the Law360 Global 20
4. For further information about our organisation and services, please visit our website: www.dlapiper.com