Media Company Owner Pleads Guilty To Stealing City Funds From NYC-TV – US Lawyer Newswire Service

LawFuel.com – Lawyer News Daily –
PREET BHARARA, the United States Attorney for the
Southern District of New York, and ROSE GILL HEARN, the
Commissioner of the New York City Department of Investigation,
announced today that VINCENT R. TAYLOR, the owner of VRT
Multimedia, Inc., pleaded guilty to conspiring with TREVOR
SCOTLAND, the former Chief Operating Officer of NYC-TV, to steal
tens of thousands of dollars in New York City funds. The guilty
plea was entered in Manhattan federal court before United States
District Judge HAROLD BAER, JR.

As alleged in the Complaint previously filed in
Manhattan federal court and the Indictment to which TAYLOR
pleaded guilty:

Until March 13, 2009, SCOTLAND was the Chief Operating
Officer of NYC-TV, a television station operated and funded in
part by New York City. As part of its operations, NYC-TV
produced commercials for advertisers to be aired during its
television programming. On a number of occasions between March
2007 through April 2008, SCOTLAND directed that a company owned
by TAYLOR, VRT Multimedia, Inc. (“VRT”), be paid for advertising
production work that was actually done by NYC-TV.

After VRT was paid for this work, TAYLOR issued checks
drawn on a bank account in the name of VRT directly to SCOTLAND,
or issued checks to make payments on two different credit cards
in SCOTLAND’s name. These payments to SCOTLAND typically totaled
approximately 80 percent of the money VRT had received from the
advertisers. TAYLOR kept the remainder of the money, typically
approximately 20 percent of the money VRT had received from the
advertisers, even though VRT had done none of the relevant
production work. The money TAYLOR and SCOTLAND stole from NYC-TV
totaled more than $60,000.

TAYLOR pleaded guilty to an Indictment charging him
with conspiracy to commit wire fraud. He faces a maximum sentence
of 20 years in prison and is scheduled to be sentenced on
February 25, 2010.

SCOTLAND previously pleaded guilty to a one-count
Information charging him with conspiracy to commit wire fraud. He
also faces a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison. He is
scheduled to be sentenced on January 26, 2010 by United States
District Judge PAUL A. CROTTY.

Mr. BHARARA praised the investigative work of the New
York City Department of Investigation.

United States Attorney PREET BHARARA said: “Vincent
Taylor helped to steal more than $60,000 from the City of New
York. We will continue to vigorously investigate and prosecute
fraud of every stripe, especially those that involve the theft of
taxpayer funds.”

DOI Commissioner ROSE GILL HEARN said: “This defendant
used phony invoices in this fraudulent scheme to siphon taxpayer
dollars. But today’s admission of guilt, with a sentencing date
to follow, is a sobering message of the consequences of this kind
of criminal conduct.”
The case is being prosecuted by the Office’s Public
Corruption Unit. Assistant United States Attorney BRENT WIBLE is
in charge of the prosecution.
09-366 ###

Scroll to Top