Socialite Paris Hilton has asked a Los Angeles judge to dismiss her invasion of privacy lawsuit against an Internet company that distributed a sex video of her, but she reserved the right to refile the suit, her lawyer said on Tuesday.
The $30 million lawsuit against Panama City, Panama-based Kahatani Ltd. was dismissed on Friday as part of Hilton’s “litigation strategy,” her lawyer Heather McCloskey said.
“At this time no decision has been made as to whether to pursue (the lawsuit) at a later date,” McCloskey said.
The notorious 45-minute video made available on the Internet by Kahatani before Red Light District Video, a suburban Los Angeles porn production company, snapped up distribution rights from Hilton’s former boyfriend, Rick Salomon, in April.
The company had planned to release the film under the title “One Night In Paris.”
Best known for starring on the Fox television reality hit “Simple Life,” Hilton claimed in the lawsuit that the night-vision videotape had been “intended only for personal use.”
Salomon and Hilton, whose grandfather founded the Hilton hotel chain, made the videotape in May 2001.List your legal jobs on the LawFuel Network