United States Attorney
Southern District of New York

PREET BHARARA, the United States Attorney for the
Southern District of New York, announced that MARK LEITZSEY was
sentenced today to 151 months in prison for his role in the sex
trafficking of a teenage girl (the “Victim”) for profit. He was
sentenced in Manhattan federal court by U.S. District Judge
BARBARA S. JONES. On May 9, 2011, LEITZSEY pled guilty before
U.S. Magistrate Judge DEBRA FREEMAN to one count of sex
trafficking of minors.
Manhattan U.S. Attorney BHARARA said: “Mark Leitzsey
engaged in predatory conduct so he could make money off the back
of a minor whom he forced to submit to his will. Sex trafficking
is an egregious offense, and targeting a minor makes it that much
more reprehensible.”
According to the Complaint, the underlying Indictment,
the Superseding Information, LEITZSEY’s plea allocution, and
documents filed in connection with the sentencing:
Between 2009 and April 2010, LEITZSEY sold narcotics to
NYPD undercover detectives on several occasions at his thenresidence
on Union Avenue in the Bronx, New York. During one
such sale, LEITZSEY told a female undercover detective, “I run a
brothel upstairs and need girls like you to work for me.”
Later, in June 2010, in a consensually recorded
telephone conversation between LEITZSEY and an undercover
detective (“Detective-1”), LEITZSEY agreed to provide several
prostitutes for what he believed would be a bachelor party. The
prostitutes were to perform commercial sex acts in exchange for
approximately $200 each. LEITZSEY subsequently sent a text
message to Detective-1 with a photograph of one of the
prostitutes for the bachelor party.
On July 28, 2010, LEITZSEY and Detective-1 met in
Queens, New York. During that meeting, which was consensually
recorded by law enforcement, Detective-1 gave LEITZSEY several
hundred dollars as a downpayment for the bachelor party, in
exchange for which LEITZSEY again agreed to provide prostitutes,
including a seventeen-year-old girl, who would perform commercial
sex acts at the party. LEITZSEY then provided Detective-1 with a
link to BoostHookt, a chatroom for Boost Mobile users, and told
her to look under his username to see photographs of the girls
whom LEITZSEY exploited as prostitutes. The bachelor party was
ultimately scheduled for August 6, 2010.
After arriving at a hotel in New York, New York, with
Victim-1 and another woman, LEITZSEY was arrested on August 6,
2010. Victim-1, who was 18 years old at the time, later
explained to law enforcement that she met LEITZSEY when she was
approximately 14 years old. She said that when she was
approximately 16 years old and a minor, a fact about which
LEITZSEY was aware, he caused her to engage in commercial sex
acts in exchange for money on several occasions and kept some or
all of the money she was paid. LEITZSEY used violence and
threats of violence to force her to engage in a commercial sex
act with one of his clients.
* * *
In addition to the prison term, Judge JONES sentenced
LEITZSEY, 45, of Queens, New York, to five years of supervised
During the sentencing, Judge JONES said: “I agree with
the Government that the conduct was reprehensible, and that may
be an understatement.”
Mr. BHARARA praised the work of the FBI and the NYPD.
This case is being handled by the Office’s Complex
Frauds Unit. Assistant U.S. Attorney AMANDA KRAMER is in charge
of the prosecution.
11-249 ###

Scroll to Top