There is usually little warning prior to involvement in an accident, there are however some tips that can help the motorcycle rider to protect their rights following a motorcycle accident.
• After a San Francisco motorcycle accident if you have not been severely injured check to see how badly you have been injured, and anyone else involved in the accident. This includes drivers and passengers in other vehicles.
• It is important to ensure that you and anyone else involved in the accident are away from further harm, this includes if you feel dizzy to move to an area safe from other traffic. When the accident is in the roadway and can be an obstruction to other vehicles that flares and warning signs be put up to mark the area. Do not move the motorcycle or other vehicles until after the police have investigated the scene of the collision.
• Make certain the police are called and the accident is reported, this can be very important after an accident. Answer questions asked by police, and do not offer opinions of how the accident might have occurred. This includes talking to other drivers that are involved in the accident, ensure everyone is safe from harm, and even if angry do not argue with the other diver about who was at fault.
• If you have been injured tell the police when reporting the accident that medical assistance is needed. Even when injured statements made to police can be used at a later time, this is why it is important to only answer police questions without elaborating on what might have caused the accident even if you are at fault.
• It is important if you have not been seriously injured to obtain the other drivers information including their name, address, license number, plate number, the make and model of their vehicle and their insurance information. Should the other driver admit to any fault in the accident this should also be written down.
• When there are witnesses to an accident it is also important to obtain their names, addresses and telephone numbers.
• When possible take pictures of the scene of the accident, either with a camera or with a cell phone. If you have been injured in the accident either take pictures as soon as possible or have a friend or family member take pictures of the scene of the accident.
• When injured during an accident seek medical treatment, do not decline ambulance transportation to the hospital. It is important to remember that when a person is involved in an accident there is a rush of adrenaline that can inhibit the body from feeling pain until hours later when the body calms down. If you feel you have not sustained injuries that require immediate medical treatment, you should be seen by your personal physician later to ensure there are not injuries that are not immediately apparent.
• After a motorcycle accident it is important to contact an experienced motorcycle accident attorney after you have been medically treated if you need treatment. This is an attorney that can gather important information from the accident scene, and prevent the insurance company from underpaying for an accident claim.
• The experienced motorcycle accident attorney can keep you from making mistakes that could limit the settlement you are offered by the insurance company, they are experienced in looking at all factors that could have attributed to the crash, and collect statements from witnesses to the accident. They are also knowledgeable about other after accident things such as vehicle repairs, medical treatment and how to protect your rights to a fair settlement.
• Statistics show that accident victims that have an experienced motorcycle accident attorney in most cases receive higher compensation awards.
• The accident must be reported to your insurance company and prior to doing this it is important to have retained an attorney. The insurance company will want you to make a statement about the accident and in cases where the other driver did not have insurance your insurance company is the adversary.
• Do not make private agreements to settle with the other driver without involving the police, this type of agreement in most cases does not work to your advantage and without a police report the other driver can later use that against you or to change their story.
• If you were not at fault do not pay any traffic tickets, or accept any payments for the repair of your vehicle without the representation of an attorney.
If you have been involved in a motorcycle accident, vehicle accident, bus, train or boat accident or bitten by a dog. The San Francisco Bay Area attorneys of Ehline Law firm are there to assist you. When you need the experience of a personal injury lawyer or a loved one has suffered a wrongful death these Bay Area attorney’s have the commitment that is needed to hold the negligent party responsible in San Francisco, San Jose, Oakland, Santa Rosa and other communities in the area.
Call Ehline Law now at: (888) 480-9786