Update: Michelle Reddington was appointed Chief Tax Counsel in March 2021. She previously worked as a partner at PriceWaterhouseCoopers and at Air New Zealand.
- 1 IRD Chief Tax Counsel Martin Smith has one of the most influential and largest in-house legal teams in the country under his management but remains a firmly under-the-radar operator.
- 2 ==> Post your law role on New Zealand’s specialist law news & jobs network
- 3 Return to the 2021 Power List
- 3.0.1 Catherine Callaghan KC – Regulatory Lawyer
- 3.0.2 The LawFuel Power List 2022
- 3.0.3 Kiri Allan – The Activist Justice Minister And Her Power Lawyer Connections
- 3.0.4 Elite Woman Power Lawyer To Leave Minters For New Role
- 3.0.5 Mai Chen ‘Sacks Herself’ to Start New Chambers, Closing ChenPalmer
IRD Chief Tax Counsel Martin Smith has one of the most influential and largest in-house legal teams in the country under his management but remains a firmly under-the-radar operator.
Formerly a tax consulting partner in a major accounting practice in Sydney and Director of Taxation Research for Ernst & Young in New Zealand, he has degrees from Adelaide University and a Masters in Tax Law from Auckland.
Relishing a low profile, he nonetheless commands a powerful position astride one of the largest and most significant departments in the country, affecting taxpayers large and small. The IRD’s tax department is one of the largest in the country and its effect upon taxpayers, corporate policy, international tax law and other issues is almost unparalleled.
Catherine Callaghan KC took silk in 2018 and has become a leader in public and…
Justice Minister Kiri Allan is putting her mark on her major portfolio in a manner…
One of MinterEllisonRuddWatts top corporate lawyers is to leave the firm to join investment bank…
Profile lawyer and Power List member Mai Chen has apparently closed her law firm, established…