Last year – 27 Robert Fisher QC slips down the List as a result of a less active mediation and arbitration role, but remains a power figure within the profession for his expertise and experience.
- 0.1 Last year – 27 Robert Fisher QC slips down the List as a result of a less active mediation and arbitration role, but remains a power figure within the profession for his expertise and experience.
- 1 Return to the 2021 Power List
- 1.0.1 The LawFuel Power List 2022
- 1.0.2 Kiri Allan – The Activist Justice Minister And Her Power Lawyer Connections
- 1.0.3 Elite Woman Power Lawyer To Leave Minters For New Role
- 1.0.4 Mai Chen ‘Sacks Herself’ to Start New Chambers, Closing ChenPalmer
- 1.0.5 The Finlayson Trilogy and Legal Life After Politics
His comments regarding New Zealand’s position in shutting out COVID-19 saw a raised profile as he warned the government that the country teetered on the ‘brink of catastrophe’ with a need to urgently revise COVID restrictions.
A former High Court judge, having retired from the bench in 2004, he has applied himself fulltime to his arbitration and mediation practice, as well as serving as an appellate judge in several Pacific states and undertaking government enquiries such as the infamous inquiry into David Bain’s compensation as well as playing a lead role in moving towards settlement over the vexed and perhaps vexatious feud over a $22 million Canterbury farming estate squabble.
As a High Court Judge, a position he achieved in 1989, he was supervising judge of the commercial list, Executive Judge of the Auckland High Court and a divisional member of the NZ Court of Appeal. and chairman of the NZ Rules Committee.
Academically distinguised, with a Doctor of Laws and Fulbright Scholarship, he has handled some of the most significant commercial arbitrations in New Zealand and continues to attract a wide following and busy case load, including relationship property issues and a more recent case involving domain name dispute between two tax refund operations.
Having written widely on a range of legal issues, he also continues to provide articles on matters ranging from how to tell if a witness is lying, to the finer points of arbitration.
A boating, running and tennis afionado and French speaking romantic, Robert (Bob) Fisher is well placed to continue his role as one of the country’s leading mediator and arbitrators slipping in ranking through pressure on the upper echelons of the Power List.