Dr. Zena Prodromou, Senior Associate in Quinn Emanuel’s Brussels office, published recently “The public order exception in international trade, investment, human rights and commercial disputes“. Parties to international disputes increasingly invoke the need to protect the domestic public order in order to justify actions otherwise in breach of their obligations under international law. The term public order nevertheless remains unclear as do the criteria and factors against which different international dispute bodies assess the parties’ respective claims. Dr. Prodromou’s book is the first to present, systematize and synthesize all relevant jurisprudence in this field of law and provides practical insights to any party wishing to invoke the public order exception in the context of international trade, investment human rights or commercial disputes.
Dr. Prodromou’s monograph has been described as:
“[…] the most comprehensive treatment of public order as it appears in trade integration and/or investment liberalization international contracts. A must-read book for academics and practitioners alike”.
– Petros C. Mavroidis, Edwin B Parker Professor of Law
at Columbia Law School, New York
“[…] one of the leading monographs on the issue of public order as interpreted and applied by the European Court of Human Rights. A must-read for anybody who wishes to assess interferences with human rights and whether or not they can be justified”.
– Prof. Dr. iur. Mark E. Villiger, formerly Judge and Section President
at the European Court of Human Rights
As the largest business litigation and arbitration firm in the world, Quinn Emanuel is uniquely positioned to assist litigants in a wide range of international disputes. With over 800 lawyers, many of them dual-qualified, and 23 offices in 11 countries, our firm has as a significant part of its practice litigation involving disputes in multiple jurisdictions.
- SFO Announces Prison Sentence For Corrupt Former Council ExecutivePrison sentences handed down to a corrupt former council executive and his associate today reflect the serious nature of their crime and the widespread harm that …
SFO Announces Prison Sentence For Corrupt Former Council Executive Read More »
- Auckland University Law Student Society Apologises for All-Male ‘Pizza & Partners’ PanelThe Auckland Law Students Association apologised for their pizza and partners evening that ignored issues of diversity and gender equality in the law recruitment event.
- Another BigLaw Firm Sets Milestone for Female Legal Leaders and Diversity & InclusionANother biglaw firm has shown commitment to female leadership by appointing a female executive chair to lead the firm.
- The Common Damages the Surviving Family Can Recover in a Wrongful Death CaseClaims for wrongful death can lead to maximum compensation claims including economic damages and non-economic damages.
- Paul Hastings Adds Rising Star Capital Markets LawyerPaul Hastings has grown its capital markets practice with the recruitment of a senior lawyer from Shearman & Sterling