Two Towaoc Residents Sentenced for Being Felons in Possession of a Firearm

DENVER (LAWFUEL) – Two residents of Towaoc, Colorado, Mollett Lansing, age 24, and Jeremy Lehi, age 24, have been sentenced today by U.S. District Court Judge Philip A. Brimmer to serve federal prison sentences for being felons in possession of a firearm. Lansing was sentenced to 30 months in federal prison, followed by 3 years of supervised release. Lehi was sentenced to serve 18 months in prison, followed by 3 years of supervised release. Both defendants appeared in court today in custody, and were remanded.

Mollett Lansing was first charged by Criminal Complaint on November 5, 2008. Lansing and Jeremy Lehi were both indicted by a federal grand jury in Denver on December 1, 2008. They pled guilty before Judge Brimmer on January 23, 2009. Lansing and Lehi were sentenced today, April 10, 2009.

According to the stipulated facts contained in both defendants’ plea agreements, on November 1, 2008, Jeremy Lehi was invited to a residence in Aneth, Utah. While at the residence, Lehi stole a Marlin Model 25 .22 caliber rifle. Lehi left the residence and returned to Colorado, bringing the stolen firearm with him. On November 2, 2008, Lehi went to Mollett Lansing’s residence in Towaoc, Colorado, with the firearm. Lehi had previously been convicted on May 8, 2008, in District Court in Montezuma County, of Criminal Mischief. Lansing had previously been convicted on November 8, 2007 in District Court in Montezuma County of Aggravated Driving with a Revoked License. It is against federal law for convicted felons to possess a firearm, which in this case was the stolen rifle.

Once Lehi and Lansing made contact, Lehi sold the stolen firearm to Lansing for a quantity of alcohol. The two consumed alcohol during the day, and took turns target shooting with the firearm near Lansing’s residence. As the day progressed, a conflict arose between Lehi and Lansing. The conflict was resolved by Lansing shooting Lehi in the leg with the stolen firearm. Lehi later informed officers that Lansing had shot him in the leg. He was then transported to a hospital in Cortez, Colorado.

This case was investigated by the Bureau of Indian Affairs and the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

The defendants were prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorneys Todd Norvell and Robert Mydans.

Scroll to Top