11th January 2005, Taipei – LAWFUEL – The Law News Network – The international law firm of Jones Day has announced the appointment of John Kao as a partner of the firm’s Taipei office, effective 1st January 2005.
John specializes in mergers and acquisitions, capital markets, private equity, venture capital and technology transactions. He has advised numerous public companies in their mergers and acquisitions in Taiwan, Mainland China, and Silicon Valley. John also provides strategic legal advice and general corporate representation to start-ups and high-growth public companies.
John has represented numerous Taiwan issuers in their convertible bond and GDR offerings under Rule 144A and Regulation S. In addition, he has assisted various clients in their private placements, both in and outside of Taiwan. John also has substantial experience in advising venture capital funds, both in the establishment of such funds and also with respect to their investment activities.
Recent representative transactions that John has handled include:
· United Test and Assembly Center Limited in its share swap transaction with UltraTera Corporation.
· Sunplus Technology in its acquisition of OAK Technology’s optical storage business.
· Uni-President Group’s minority stake acquisition of Kuang Chuan Dairy.
· FICTA Technology’s sale of its semiconductor assembly and test facility to Amkor Technology.
Roy Chew – Ogilvy Public Relations, Hong Kong
Tel: (852) 2884-8539
Serina Chung – Business Development Manager, Jones Day
Tel: (886-2) 7712-3327
ABOUT JONES DAY:
· Jones Day is an international law firm with 30 locations in centers of business and finance throughout the world. With more than 2,200 lawyers, it ranks among the world’s largest law firms.
· At the 2003 Asian Legal Business Awards, the firm was named International Law Firm of the Year and North American Law Firm of the Year.
· Jones Day acts as principal outside counsel to, or provides significant legal representation for, more than half of the Fortune Global 500 companies, as well as to a wide variety of other entities and individuals. Surveys repeatedly list Jones Day as one of the firms most frequently engaged by U.S. corporations and many of the firm’s lawyers have achieved international recognition in their disciplines.
· In a survey of almost 200 corporate counsel at U.S. Fortune 1000 companies (Survey of Client Service Performance for Law Firms, BTI Consulting, January 2004) Jones Day was ranked #1 for client service by a margin of 35% over the second-place finisher.