14 June – LAWFUEL – The Law News Network – A Los Angeles man accused of sending scores of hateful letters that threatened Jews and made disparaging remarks about other ethnic groups was arrested this morning on federal charges of mailing threatening communications.
Stanley C. Jaroszenski, who often used the nom de plume “Stan Jay,” was arrested without incident this morning at his downtown Los Angeles residence. Jaroszenski, 64, is scheduled to make his initial court appearance this afternoon in United States District Court in Los Angeles.
A federal grand jury last Thursday named Jaroszenski in a 117-count indictment. The indictment outlines mailings sent to dozens of addresses, including:
* the Lakewood office of United States Representative Linda Sanchez, whose office was evacuated after the envelope bearing the words “C.I.A. to Kill Sanchez” was received;
* Children’s Hospital of Los Angeles, where an entire floor of the facility was evacuated after the letter bearing the words “Chinese Poison + Cancer in Your Body N-O-W!” was received; and
* the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement office in Savannah, Georgia, which received an envelope with the words “KPFK sez: Kill Jews!”
* The indictment alleges that Jaroszenski sent 56 threatening letters, 52 of which contained hypodermic syringes with needles attached. The 56 counts of mailing threatening communications each carry a potential penalty of five years in federal prison. The indictment also contains 61 misdemeanor counts of mailing injurious articles, in this case the hypodermic needles. A misdemeanor charges carries a maximum penalty of one year in prison.
* An indictment contains allegations that a defendant has committed a crime. Every defendant is presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty.
* The case against Jaroszenski is the result of an investigation by the United States Postal Inspection Service, the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Los Angeles Police Department.
* CONTACT: Assistant United States Attorney Tammy C. Spertus
* (213) 894-8911