30 April – LAWFUEL – The Law News Network – Describing Sidley as “the world’s leading firm for trade and customs expertise,” International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers Managing Editor Callum Campbell announced that Sidley Austin Brown & Wood LLP had been named Trade & Customs Law Firm of the Year 2005.
The firm was chosen based on interviews with and nominations by clients, private practice professionals and general counsel, on research criteria including number of partners, offices, past performance, and number of votes. This is the first year that Who’s Who Legal, the official research partner of the International Bar Association, has recognized an individual firm with this honor.
“We are very pleased to be recognized by our clients and peers for our capabilities across a diverse range of important global practice areas,” said Sidley partner Daniel M. Price, who heads the firm’s International Trade Group.
Areas covered by International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers for Trade & Customs include:
· US regulatory: export controls, customs, trade remedy
· EU regulator: environmental, trade remedy, labeling food and product safety
· Support for international trade negotiations
· International dispute settlement: addressing regulatory problems and government actions through WTO and BIT
Who’s Who Legal recognized eight Sidley partners, in particular Richard Belanger and David Palmeter, both featured among the most highly regarded individuals in the publication’s global research.
Sidley Austin Brown & Wood LLP lawyers included in the Trade & Customs chapter:
· Richard LA Weiner, Brussels office
· Scott D Andersen, Geneva office
· Todd J Friedbacher, Geneva office
· Richard M Belanger, Washington DC office
· Neil R Ellis, Washington DC office
· David Palmeter, Washington DC office
· Daniel M Price, Washington DC office
· Andrew W Shoyer, Washington DC office
Mr. Campbell explained, “It is impossible to buy entry into this publication, only lawyers who have met independent international research criteria are listed. This book represents an accurate and impartial picture of the global private practice marketplace.”