A federal parliamentary committee today strongly supported the Australian Government’s actions to suspend Australia’s Extradition and Mutual Legal Assistance treaties with Hong Kong.
“The evidence gathered by the Committee establishes a strong public foundation for the actions for the Australian Government,” said Committee Chair Mr Dave Sharma MP.
“The Committee heard the imposition by China of its National Security Law in Hong Kong has fundamentally altered Hong Kong’s status and raised serious concerns about the independence of the judiciary in Hong Kong and the continued application of the rule of law and other fundamental principles of justice. This constitutes a fundamental change of circumstances,” added Mr Sharma.
The bi-partisan Committee unanimously endorsed the actions of the Australian Government to protect the integrity of its international law enforcement arrangements and uphold the rights of its citizens by suspending these two treaties.
The Committee will continue to take a close interest in political developments in Hong Kong.
- “Tremendously Talented” Former Cravath Partner Johnny Skumpija Joins SidleySidley Austin has taken on high profile former Cravath Capital Markets lawyer Johnny Skumpija in an announcement […] More
- Legal Tech News: Leading AI Legal Platform Adopted By Portugese Law FirmLuminance’s ‘Diligence’ legal tech platform is used by the law firm for M&A due diligence, real estate […] More
- Lowenstein Sandler Grows Tax Practice With New York AdditionsSupport Independent Law News Edmund S. Cohen, Rachel Ingwer, and Scott Malone have joined Lowenstein Sandler’s Tax practice. Cohen and Ingwer will join […] More
- Former SEC Governance Counsel Joins Sidley in Washington DCWashington, D.C. – Sidley Austin LLP is pleased to announce that Sonia Barros has joined the firm as a […] More
- Law Enforcement Agent Arrested For Alleged Bribery SchemeLOS ANGELES – Federal authorities this morning arrested a former special agent with Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) on […] More
- Schiff Hardin Elects New Managing PartnerCHICAGO, February 26, 2021 –Schiff Hardin LLP is pleased to announce the election of Joe Krasovec as […] More
- Former COO of Biopharmaceutical Company Sentenced For Accounting FraudAudrey Strauss, the United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York, announced that WILLIAM TAYLOR, the […] More