LawFuel – Law Firm News – 9 July 2012 – International law firm Clyde & Co has today announced that it is opening an office in Tripoli, the firm’s fifth in the Middle East and North Africa region.
Clyde & Co will operate from Tripoli Tower and will be open from 1 August 2012.
Libyan lawyer Albudery Shariha will join Clyde & Co from the Libyan Investment Authority, where he was General Counsel, to head the Tripoli office. He will be joined by four associates on 1 August and, given the level of enquiries received, Clyde & Co will be actively recruiting both Libyan and international lawyers in the coming months. The Tripoli-based team will be supported by dedicated multilingual Libya desks in London, Abu Dhabi and Dubai.
Albudery Shariha said: “Libya is embarking on an exciting new phase this month and there are significant opportunities as the country rebuilds. Clyde & Co, with its long history of Middle East and African involvement and its energy and infrastructure expertise, is perfectly placed to advise clients looking to the Libyan market.
Adrian Creed said: “Albudery is one of the foremost lawyers in Libya and we are delighted that he is driving forward this initiative. His expertise will be invaluable. We expect to undertake a mix of contentious and non-contentious work for Libyan government entities and international clients. A large number of companies are actively exploring opportunities in Libya and we envision a steady increase in activity.”
Clyde & Co partner and board member Ben Knowles said: “Clyde & Co has never shied away from working in fast-moving and challenging jurisdictions. As patterns of global trade have shifted, the firm has actively invested in our emerging markets network to meet the evolving needs of our clients. We are thrilled to launch in Tripoli and to build on our existing Libyan practice. We believe the office has huge growth potential.”
The firm has been present for nearly 25 years in the Middle East with offices in Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Doha and via an associated office in Riyadh. Clyde & Co is currently advising the Libyan Government on a number of matters.
Notes to editors
1. Clyde & Co is a global law firm with a pioneering heritage and a resolute focus on its core sectors of aviation, energy, infrastructure, insurance, marine, professional practices and trade. With over 1,350 lawyers operating from 27 offices in five continents, the firm advises corporations, financial institutions, private individuals and government bodies. The firm has a particularly strong reputation for its work on complex cross-jurisdictional disputes and transactional matters.
2. Clyde & Co is renowned for its work in emerging markets, being the largest international firm in the Middle East and with a rapidly expanding network across Asia, Latin America and Africa.
3. Clyde & Co offices include: Abu Dhabi, Belgrade*, Caracas, Dar es Salaam, Doha, Dubai, Guildford, Hong Kong, London, Manchester, Montreal, Moscow, Mumbai*, Nantes, New Delhi*, New Jersey, New York, Oxford, Paris, Piraeus, Rio de Janeiro, Riyadh*, San Francisco, Shanghai, Singapore, St Petersburg*, Toronto *associated offices.
4. Clyde & Co recently announced that it will open offices in Australia in Sydney and Perth on 1 October 2012.
5. The firm has alliances with Khan Lex Advocates in Mongolia and Scanlen and Holderness in Zimbabwe.