DLA Piper’s New Zealand office has cut partner drawings and staff pay by up to 30 percent but avoided making redundancies, as the firm joins others in its battle to deal with the COVID-19 pandemic.
As LawFuel recently reported on moves by global law firms to cut drawings and pay during the ‘coronapocalypse’, the moves are hardly unusual although there is little reporting on what other New Zealand law firms are doing to reduce overheads.
US law firms like Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft and Reed Smith have come under greater financial pressure than UK law firms like Allen & Overy and DLA Piper, the Financial Times reported. However the situation is very much a ‘reducing feast’ as firms continue to assess their financial situation.
DLA Piper New Zealand, part of the global network across 40 countries, has over 100 staff across its two offices and was one of the major law firms that did not take the government’s pay subsidy which six of the major firms did take, before returning the funds to the government amid considerable publicity.
Read More New Zealand News
- Court of Appeal Hear Grace Millane Murder Accused’s Trial MiscarriedThe man found guilty of the murder of Grace Millane is having his appeal against […]
- Leading Cartel Defense & Antitrust Lawyer Joins Davis Polk From Gibson Dunn & CrutcherPowered by LawFuel – Washington DC, August 5, 2020 – Davis Polk today announced that D. […]
- Coronavirus – Furlough bonus scheme and redundancy pay announcementsEversheds Sutherland – The government has published further details of the £1,000 employer bonus for […]
- Doctor One of 10 Charged on Federal Opioid Trafficking ChargesSANTA ANA, California – Law enforcement authorities this morning arrested four defendants charged in two federal […]
- Tompkins Wake Expands With Addition of Mark Lowndes’ FirmIn a surprise move, well known corporate lawyer and name partner at his own firm, […]
- Ed Buck Face Additional Charges Related to ProstitutionLOS ANGELES – A federal grand jury today returned a superseding indictment charging Edward Buck with […]
- Law firm uses AI to slice months off insurance claimsMaurice Blackburn Lawyers has rolled out an artificial intelligence-infused solution that cuts the time taken […]