A Dunedin businessman who provided financial advisory services has entered no plea to charges brought by the Serious Fraud Office.
The SFO alleges Barry Edward Kloogh (57), who appeared in the Dunedin District Court today, defrauded investors of at least $15.7 million.
Mr Kloogh faces representative charges of ‘False accounting’, ‘False statement by promoters’, ‘Theft by person in special relationship’ and ‘Obtaining by deception’. He also faces individual charges of ‘Forgery’, ‘Theft by person in special relationship’ and ‘Obtaining by deception’.
Mr Kloogh provided his financial advisory services through several companies of which he was the sole director and shareholder. He had approximately 2000 active clients in May 2019.
The defendant was remanded without plea to reappear in the Dunedin District Court on 12 March.
The Financial Markets Authority referred the matter to the SFO and assisted the agency in its investigation.
Recent NZ Law News
- Placing Her ‘Neck On The Line’ In Samoa Didn’t Prevent Recognition In Samoa For Tiana EpatiA run-in with Samoa Prime Minister Tuilaepa Dr. Sailele Malielegaoi over a plan […] More
- Legal Disrupter Arrives In New Zealand to ‘Democratise’ Legal AccessAustralian-based ‘legal disrupter’ LegalVision has opened its doors in New Zealand with a […] More
- Jailhouse Lawyer Taylor To Take ‘Gangland’ Book Censorship Case To CourtArthur Taylor, the now somewhat celebrated “jailhouse lawyer” is making a return to […] More
- The BigLaw TikTok Lawyer Who Has Become A Major Legal Jobs InfluencerA pandemic-ruined birthday lead to lawyer Cecillia Xie deciding that she would make […] More
- Formidable British QC Agrees To Prosecute Hong Kong ProtestersDavid Perry QC is regarded as one of Britain’s most formidable Queens’ Counsel, […] More
- Former EY Law Employment Lawyer Sets Up FirmEmployment law specialist Shelley Kopu, who once led EY Law’s employment law team, has commenced practice […] More
- Russian Billionaire Takes US Legal Action For LawFuel EmailsThe Russian billionaire vendor of the mansion recently sold to Meghan Markle and […] More
- Christchurch Barristers Suffer $170,000 RipoffThe practice manager of two Christchurch barristers stole around $170,000 over a 16 […] More
- The Twin Lawyers With Equal Passion For Maori Legal IssuesThe twin 23-year-old girls inspired by their non-lawyer father’s arguments for Maori Land […] More
- Are Women Lawyers Fundamentally Different From Male Lawyers?The setting up of women-only networks and reverse mentoring programmes may be unwittingly […] More
- Simpson Grierson’s Russian Kiss Christmas Greeting – A Threat, A Writ and An OligarchJohn Bowie – It’s been an unusual year all round and readers […] More
- Bob Jones: ‘A Horrible Green Party Little Turd’ – Refugees, Immigration & “Yeah, Nah” BumpfBob Jones* The Green Party’s new intake included, scraping in in last […] More
- When your child follows you into the lawDeborah Hart* 63 years to the day after my family found sanctuary […] More