A Dunedin businessman who provided financial advisory services has entered no plea to charges brought by the Serious Fraud Office.
The SFO alleges Barry Edward Kloogh (57), who appeared in the Dunedin District Court today, defrauded investors of at least $15.7 million.
Mr Kloogh faces representative charges of ‘False accounting’, ‘False statement by promoters’, ‘Theft by person in special relationship’ and ‘Obtaining by deception’. He also faces individual charges of ‘Forgery’, ‘Theft by person in special relationship’ and ‘Obtaining by deception’.
Mr Kloogh provided his financial advisory services through several companies of which he was the sole director and shareholder. He had approximately 2000 active clients in May 2019.
The defendant was remanded without plea to reappear in the Dunedin District Court on 12 March.
The Financial Markets Authority referred the matter to the SFO and assisted the agency in its investigation.
Recent NZ Law News
- Buddle Findlay’s #MeToo Moment – Concern Over Claim of Big Law Partner’s Inappropriate ConductDespite the furore over the Russell McVeagh conduct that is now – some […] More
- Duncan Cotterill Expands to Queenstown & Secures Major Property ClientDuncan Cotterill has opened a Queenstown office with the acquisition of Mackersy Legal, […] More
- NZ Law News – New Partners at Greenwood RocheNational specialist projects firm, Greenwood Roche, has announced that Mark Anderson and Antonia […] More
- Mainzeal Directors Lose in Court of Appeal31 March 2021 | – The Court of Appeal decision released today has […] More
- New Additions For Russell McVeagh . . And One Rather Surprising DepartureWhile Russell McVeagh have announced the return of firm alumni in a recent […] More
- Westpac demerger: What does that mean for NZ Inc.?In recent days, Westpac Banking Corporation (WBC) announced it is considering a demerger […] More
- Russell McVeagh Welcomes Back Senior AlumniRussell McVeagh is welcoming back an impressive group of senior alumni who have […] More
- The New Zealand Law Firms Leading the Twitter Power List . . And The Big Law Firm With Just 3 FollowersIt’s smaller firms leading the Twitter charge but Donald Trump may have put […] More
- The 2021 LawFuel Twitter Power List – New Zealand Law’s Top 20 Twitter ListLast year we posted the Top 20, and this year we have some […] More
- The LawFuel Power Twitter List: Nos. 11 – 20The Twitter 11 – 20 List . . growing their influence on Twitter […] More
- DLA Piper advises Accel-KKR and Seequent on $USD1 Billion of Seequent GroupDLA Piper has advised Accel-KKR and its portfolio company, Seequent Holdings Limited on […] More
- Joseph Parker Named As High Profile Sportsman In Drug TrialBoxer Joseph Parker has been named as the ‘high profile sportsman’ with connections […] More
- Russell McVeagh Takes a Lead On Women-in-Law With 3 Key Points For Junior Woman LawyersRussell McVeagh is putting its best womens’ feet forward with International Women’s Day […] More