Stepping Up The Diversity Pace
There is great huffing and puffing about what law firms are doing in the diversity space and Whitney & Dorsey have not exactly lead the pack, ranking at 141st place for Am Law’s 2019 Diversity Scorecard recently.
But times are changing and the firm is now introducing a new ‘diversity hours’ policy that is designed to recognize 50 hours of diversity time each year for associates as if such hours were billable.
‘Diversity time’ includes a variety of activities including
- attending internal and external diversity educational sessions
- presenting on diversity and inclusion topics
- serving on firm-wide or office diversity and inclusion committees
- participating in the firm’s internal affinity groups
- holding a leadership role in a local or national affinity bar association or another diversity organization
- organizing or attending diversity-related events
- participating in recruiting efforts targeted at diverse candidates
- representing Dorsey at client-facing diversity events or trainings.
“Dorsey is committed to creating an enduring, more united and more profitable firm by investing and maintaining a culture in which all individuals can thrive and realize their full potential,” said Bill Stoeri, Dorsey’s Managing Partner.
“We are proud to demonstrate this commitment with separate diversity hours to help us achieve this goal.”