A major entertainment law firm has lost data to a raft of major, A-List entertainment figures including Lady Gaga, Madonna, Bruce Springsteen, Mariah Carey and others after a major cyberattack.
The law firm, Grubman Shire Meiselas & Sacks said that after its internal data systems were hacked it had informed its clients of the breach, according to a report in Variety. Apart from a variety of entertainment personalities, the firm also represents television personalities, sports stars and media and entertainment companies.
“We can confirm that we’ve been victimized by a cyberattack,” the New York-based firm said in a statement that it provided to Variety. “We have notified our clients and our staff. We have hired the world’s experts who specialize in this area, and we are working around the clock to address these matters.”
The hacker group claimed that it had stolen over 750 gigabytes of documents on a list of major media figures that also included Nicki Minaj, Mary J. Blige, Ella Mai, Christina Aguilera, Cam Newton, Bette Midler, Jessica Simpson, Priyanka Chopra, Idina Menzel and Run DMC.
Among the stolen data were nondisclosure agreements, phone and email details, contracts, correspondences and more.
To show the hack was real, they released an excerpt from a contract for Madonna’s 2019-20 “Madame X” tour with Live Nation.
It is not clear whether the law firm attack was a ransomware attack with a view towards the release of more information. It was carried out by REvil, or “Sodinokibi,” according to a consultancy acting on such matters.
The group has previously targeted companies and organizations including Travelex, the U.K.-based currency-exchange company, which paid $2.3 million in bitcoin to hackers after a ransomware attack, the Wall Street Journal reported.
Read More on LawFuel Here
- How Many Lawyers Are There In The United States?. . or is the law a dying profession? It may surprise […] More
- Sharon Osborne Hire’s Hollywood Heavyweight Lawyer Jeremiah Reynolds Following ‘The Talk’ RowSharon Osborne has hired a top gun Hollywood lawyer to represent her […] More
- Chapman Tripp Named 2021 Chambers Asia Pacific NZ Law Firm of the YearChapman Tripp has been recognised at the 2021 Chambers Asia Pacific Awards […] More
- Lawyer’s Conduct Amounted to Sexual Harassment, Law Society Committee SaysA Standards Committee has found there was unsatisfactory conduct by a lawyer, […] More
- Wakefields Adds New Lawyers to TeamAmy Webster (Senior Associate) joined the Wakefields Lawyers Team in 2019, specialising […] More
- The $2000-Plus An Hourly Charge Out Rate For Former US Attorney General Eric Holder Reflects Growing Billing RatesHourly charge out rates for lawyers have continued to rise rapidly, but […] More
- Chapman Tripp – FMA Releases Guidance for fund managers to ensure their fees are reasonableChapman Tripp – Although the statutory obligation not to charge an unreasonable […] More