A major entertainment law firm has lost data to a raft of major, A-List entertainment figures including Lady Gaga, Madonna, Bruce Springsteen, Mariah Carey and others after a major cyberattack.
The law firm, Grubman Shire Meiselas & Sacks said that after its internal data systems were hacked it had informed its clients of the breach, according to a report in Variety. Apart from a variety of entertainment personalities, the firm also represents television personalities, sports stars and media and entertainment companies.
“We can confirm that we’ve been victimized by a cyberattack,” the New York-based firm said in a statement that it provided to Variety. “We have notified our clients and our staff. We have hired the world’s experts who specialize in this area, and we are working around the clock to address these matters.”
The hacker group claimed that it had stolen over 750 gigabytes of documents on a list of major media figures that also included Nicki Minaj, Mary J. Blige, Ella Mai, Christina Aguilera, Cam Newton, Bette Midler, Jessica Simpson, Priyanka Chopra, Idina Menzel and Run DMC.
Among the stolen data were nondisclosure agreements, phone and email details, contracts, correspondences and more.
To show the hack was real, they released an excerpt from a contract for Madonna’s 2019-20 “Madame X” tour with Live Nation.
It is not clear whether the law firm attack was a ransomware attack with a view towards the release of more information. It was carried out by REvil, or “Sodinokibi,” according to a consultancy acting on such matters.
The group has previously targeted companies and organizations including Travelex, the U.K.-based currency-exchange company, which paid $2.3 million in bitcoin to hackers after a ransomware attack, the Wall Street Journal reported.
Read More on LawFuel Here
- The Software Genius Showing How Lawyers & Others Can Use Webinars To Generate New BusinessThe use of webinars for lead generation and to develop new business …
- MBIE Say Remote Working Putting Organisations at risk of Ransomware
- NSW Law Society Guide Models Best Workplace Practice for Legal ProfessionThe Law Society of NSW has released a guide to help NSW …
- Controversial Australian Law Firm Proposes Anti-Jab Fight In $10 Million FundraiseAustralian law firm proposes class action lawsuit over anti-vax order
- How To Create a Positive Company Culture and Prioritize Employee SatisfactionBusiness leaders look at the key characteristics helping to build business success …
- Pro Bono Partner Promoted At Ireland’s Largest Law FirmMatheson, Ireland’s largest law firm, has appointed Niamh Counihan as Pro Bono Partner. Niamh …
- NZ Law Society’s New President From DLA Piper Has Work To Do