Continues strategic growth of core practices in New York office
New York, 26 February 2018 – Mayer Brown announced today that industry-leading capital markets and tax teams, including capital markets lawyers Anna T. Pinedo, James R. Tanenbaum and Jerry R. Marlatt and tax lawyers Thomas A. Humphreys and Remmelt A. Reigersman, have joined the firm in New York and Northern California. All previously practiced at another leading global law firm. Mr. Humphreys was the co-chair of that firm’s Federal Tax Practice Group and Tax Department.
“The arrival of our new colleagues adds an important component to our global capital markets and tax capabilities and immediately enhances our ability to partner with clients in all facets of their complex financing and corporate transactions,” said Paul Theiss, the chairman of Mayer Brown. “Anna and Jim are highly regarded in the market for their pioneering securities, derivatives and structured products offerings and Jerry is one of the most experienced covered bonds lawyers in the US. Tom and Remmelt are highly skilled and innovative experts on the structuring and taxation of capital markets transactions, financial instruments and mergers and acquisitions. We look forward to integrating our new colleagues into our premier corporate and securities, tax and structured finance capabilities.”
Additional information on these news partners and their core practices:
· Ms. Pinedo, who is joining the firm’s Corporate & Securities practice in New York and will serve as a co-leader of the global Capital Markets practice, concentrates her practice on securities and derivatives. She represents issuers, investment banks/financial intermediaries, and investors in financing transactions, including public offerings and private placements of equity and debt securities, as well as structured notes and other hybrid and structured products. Ms. Pinedo also works with financial institutions to advise on and develop derivatives products. View bio here.
· Mr. Tanenbaum is joining the firm’s Corporate & Securities practice in New York. He focuses his practice on corporate finance and the structuring of complex domestic and international capital markets transactions. He has developed some of the most widely used hybrid technologies for the placement and distribution of securities. View bio here.
· Mr. Marlatt, who is joining the firm’s Corporate & Securities practice in New York, represents issuers, underwriters and placement agents in covered bonds, public and private offerings of debt and commercial paper, securities of structured investment and specialized operating vehicles, and securities repackagings. View bio here.
· Mr. Humphreys is joining the firm’s Tax Transactions & Consulting practice in New York. He has extensive experience with the tax aspects of capital markets transactions, financial instruments, real estate investment trusts, mergers and acquisitions, bankruptcy and reorganization, tax controversy, including transfer pricing, and international transactions. Mr. Humphreys has made significant contributions to taxation policy and education within the legal community. He is a longtime adjunct professor at New York University Law School, where he teaches Taxation of Financial Instruments in the LLM program. View bio here.
· Mr. Reigersman, who is also joining the Tax Transactions & Consulting practice, will be based in Mayer Brown’s Northern California offices. He focuses his practice on federal and international tax matters. Mr. Reigersman advises on a wide variety of sophisticated capital markets transactions and represents issuers, investment banks/financial institutions, and investors in financing transactions, including public offerings and private placements of equity, debt and hybrid securities, as well as structured products. View bio here.
The arrival of this dynamic group builds on the recent growth of Mayer Brown’s core capabilities in New York. In the past month, the firm welcomed partners in its Banking & Finance and Litigation & Dispute Resolution practices and additional partners in its Corporate & Securities practice.