A Northern Ireland law firm is taking legal action via an application for judicial review over a refusal to close schools in Country ArmaghA Belfast law firm is to take a case on behalf of a family in Co Armagh over the decision not to close schools in Northern Ireland.
On Sunday, Education Minister Peter Weir insisted schools would only shut in the region when the time is right.
He tweeted: “The time will come when it is right from a public health point of view that schools will need to close. Schools and parents/guardians should begin to plan arrangements for that long period of closure including childcare for their children.”
Schools in the Republic closed for a fortnight on Friday.
In a statement, Belfast law firm Phoenix Law said: “We are instructed by the mother of a child who attends a primary school in County Armagh.
“Our client’s daughter suffers underlying health problems, including severe asthma and therefore is at a greater risk of harm should she contract the Coronavirus.
“It is our client’s case that the current position is unlawful and contrary to the necessary protections afforded to all citizens under the human rights act.
LawFuel legal news
- Westpack Hit With Largest-Ever Civil Penalty in AustraliaWestpac Group (ASX: WBC) will pay $1.3 billion in penalties after admitting to […]
- Panama Papers Law Firm Helped US Citizen Avoid Taxes Through Sham Companies – Four Year Prison Term Handed OutAudrey Strauss, the Acting United States Attorney for the Southern District of New […]
- 10 Lawyers Who Became Global Celebrities – But Not For Practicing LawYou may not believe it, but these celebrities achieved their fame in different […]
- 3 Strategies Lawyers Are Using Successfully to Prosper With Remote Working ConditionsJen Dezso* Remote working has proven to be largely a success — at […]
- DLA Piper ranked among best law firms for women by Working Mother for ninth yearSeptember 8, 2020 – DLA Piper is pleased to announce that it has once again […]
- How COVID-19 Has Created An Advantage for Hackers & Other Bad Actors With Ransomware AttacksPatterson Belknap – As we previously described and as reflected in the rapidly increasing number of cyber-attacks […]
- Australian Law Firms More Resilient Than Others in The Face of the PandemicThe global pandemic has affected Australian law firms less than many others globally, […]
- Why Linklaters Says It Is Benefiting from Having Lawyers Working From HomeMagic circle law firm Linklaters, who employ over 2000 lawyers globally, has said […]
- The Woman In The Midst Of Freshfield’s Latest #Metoo MiseryThe #Metoo movement seems to follow Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer like a very bad […]
- 5 Ways To Promote Your Law Firm With InstagramAshley Halsey* In recent years, law firms have turned to social media like […]
- UK Law Firm TLT Closes in On £100 Million Turnover Mark After Key Changes, Including Legal Service DeliveryBristol-based TLT Solicitors law firm has closed in on the £100m mark in […]