LawFuel News – MIAMI –Brandon Michael Fleury, 22, of Santa Ana, California, was sentenced to 66 months in federal prison today for cyberstalking and sending a kidnapping threat to families of victims of a mass shooting in Parkland, Florida, announced U.S. Attorney Ariana Fajardo Orshan for the Southern District of Florida and Special Agent in Charge George L. Piro of the FBI’s Miami Field Office.
According to evidence introduced during the South Florida jury trial, Fleury used thirteen different Instagram accounts, using aliases including alleged Parkland shooter Nikolas Cruz, notorious serial killer Ted Bundy, and others, to target families and friends of Parkland shooting victims with messages over the course of three weeks between Dec. 22, 2018 and Jan. 11, 2019.
Many of the messages, including ones written under usernames referring to Cruz and containing Cruz’s profile picture, taunted the message recipients about the deaths of loved ones in the Parkland shooting. On Dec. 25, 2018, Fleury, sent a message stating, “I’m your abductor I’m kidnapping you fool.” On Jan. 9, 10, and 11, 2019, Fleury continued to harass, intimidate, and threaten the message recipients from multiple Instagram accounts. These included messages sent under the username “the.douglas.shooter,” and using a profile picture of Nikolas Cruz. These messages included statements like, “With the power of my AR-15, you all die,” and “With the power of my AR-15, I take your loved ones away from you PERMANENTLY.”
After examining Fleury’s tablets, law enforcement found thousands of saved images of Ted Bundy, images of the targeted victims, and saved screenshots of the messages that he had sent the victims.
Fleury was convicted of interstate transmission of a threat to kidnap, in violation of Title 18, United States Code, Section 875(c), and interstate cyberstalking, in violation of Title 18, United States Code, Section 2261A (Case No. 19cr60056). He was sentenced by U.S. District Judge Rudolfo A. Ruiz II to 60 months as to Counts 1-3 to run concurrently and 6 months as to Count 4, to run consecutive to Counts 1-3.
U.S. Attorney Fajardo Orshan commended the investigatory efforts of the FBI’s South Florida Violent Crime Fugitive Task Force and Broward Sheriff’s Office in this matter. U.S. Attorney Fajardo Orshan also thanked the FBI’s Los Angeles Field Office and task force members. This case was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Ajay Alexander.
Latest LawFuel News
- 22 New Partners At Freshfields As It Moves Towards Global Gender DiversityThe Big Law firm’s gender diversity objective is for new partners to average at least […] More
- Former MinterEllison M&A Partner Joins Squire Patton BoggsPowered by LawFuel – The momentum continues to build at Squire Patton Boggs, with the […] More
- Second Investment Advisory Firm Manager Pleads Guilty in $100 Million Ponzi-Type FraudAudrey Strauss, United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York, announced that MARTIN […] More
- ‘Spoofed’ Email Fraud Nets 40 Month Jail Time For Multimillion Dollar ScamIfeanyi Eke Had Supervisory Role in the Scheme and Is Responsible for Approximately $2.7 Million […] More
- Labor Lawyer Rejoins Littler in ColumbusApril 12, 2021 COLUMBUS, Ohio (April 12, 2021) – Littler, the world’s largest employment and […] More
- Eversheds Sutherland Strengthens International Tax Practice with Accomplished Partner Jonathan SamburApril 12, 2021 – WASHINGTON—Eversheds Sutherland is pleased to announce that Jonathan A. Sambur has […] More
- 17 New Partners At SkaddenSkadden – We are pleased to announce that the following attorneys have become partners of […] More
- Law Firm Technology: How Digitally Effective Are UK Law Firms?New report shows some law firms used the pandemic to upgrade their technology, but others […] More
- Bank ‘Insider’ Obtained Real Loans For Fake BusinessesConspiracy pleads guilty to fraudulent Bribery Scheme Audrey Strauss, the United States Attorney for […] More
- Eversheds Attracts Elite IP Partner To Expand West Coast Presence(APRIL 6, 2021) SAN DIEGO –Powered by LawFuel – Eversheds Sutherland is pleased to announce that Jeffrey […] More