Dan Garner* The severe problems at Pierce Bainbridge Beck Price & Hecht LLP, including the dispute with ex-partner and whistleblower Don Lewis, have been covered at length by LawFuel. And the latest development appears to be the departure of New York Office Managing Partner David L Hecht.
Long-time Managing Partner John Pierce (formerly of K&L Gates) has apparently lost the respect and confidence of even his closest partners. With Pierce ousted as firm boss, one would have expected another name partner – Carolynn K. Beck (formerly of Murchison & Cumming and Margolis & Tinsman), David L. Hecht (formerly of Steptoe & Johnson), James D. Bainbridge (the mystery man with the FTC issues) or Maxim “Max” Price (formerly of Quinn Emanuel) to step into his shoes.
Yet, this has not happened, Tom Warren, who represents Michael Avenatti, has been given the nod. And now it appears that – on the heels of Marc Mukasey and his firm Mukasey Frenchman & Sklaroff LLP filing to withdraw as PB’s counsel in the Lewis matters – former New York Office Managing Partner David L. Hecht is the latest Pierce Bainbridge lawyer to join the exodus from the firm.
David L. Hecht, Maxim “Max” Price and Wen Wu (Pierce Bainbridge Associate)
“Davey & The John” Never Did Take Over the World
Hecht was reportedly the name partner closest to John Pierce. Hecht did his best to mirror Pierce in cartoonish and bombastic statements about the firm.
For example, in an interview with Above the Law; Hecht offered the following Pierce-lite doozies:
- “[T]he firm has been able to run circles around our adversaries. It’s clear that we have intimidated those other firms with our agility and resourcefulness.” – David L. Hecht
- “[W]e are fixated on world domination. . .” – David L. Hecht
Hecht’s own conduct with regard to his practice has at times been the subject of criticism and comment.
Hecht has made comments online about the way Pierce Bainbridge litigated. A court filing by former partner Don Lewis, who has sued Pierce Bainbridge, several of its partners including Hecht, Littler Mendelson (S. Jeanine Conley) and Putney Twombly (Michael D. Yim), contains a screenshot of the LinkedIn post and a reader’s comment (see below), Hecht appears to have subsequently altered the filed content.
“Like a Cult Member”
The Lewis filings also contain negative commentary about Hecht from his own (now former) partners. They are severe.
As a small example:
- Partner Christopher N. LaVigne – in writing – stated: “If JP said kicking dogs off of cliffs was a good strategy, Hecht would be there tossing them off.”
- Partner Andrew “Andy” Lorin – in writing – stated: “David wanted me to take charge of the trial and knows he can’t lead the trial of these cases. He just needs to be treated respectfully.”
- A former partner (not Lewis) – in writing – stated (concerning Carolynn K. Beck and Hecht): “They’re like cult members. . . .at a certain point you have to put self-respect above all else if you are a real person. You’re either compromising yourself or you’re just plain dumb. I can’t decide which category those two fall into. Could be both.”
“Laughable” and “Embarrassing”
The media been been critical to the point of vilification when writing about Hecht.
- An article by Mike Masnick in Techdirt.com commented on a Hecht filed complaint opines: “It’s laughable, and the lawyers who signed their names to it — Brian Dunne, Dan Terzian, and David Hecht, from Pierce Bainbridge — should be embarrassed.”
- A separate article by Tim Cushing concluded dance-move copyright cases pushed by Hecht: “Despite its 100% failure rate in Fortnite lawsuits, Pierce Bainbridge is still finding plaintiffs willing to ensure its partners keep collecting paychecks. And isn’t that the greatest victory of all?”
In connection with the Fortnite suits, Hecht claimed his e-mail address was spoofed. Pierce Bainbridge then “alerted the authorities, including the FBI.”
“The Boss” of The Pierce Bainbridge New York Office
Notwithstanding the omnipresent negativity, Hecht’s “name was on the Pierce Bainbridge door” and he was also the New York Office Managing Partner.
In that latter role, Hecht oversaw each member of the “$9.1 Million Crew” (with the exception of LA-based Jim Bainbridge).
Given Hecht’s apparent shortcomings, and pedigree of The Crew, we imagine this made for interesting office dynamics.
From left to right, top to bottom, The $9.1 Million Crew and their stations before Pierce Bainbridge are: Eric Creizman (Creizman LLC), Caroline Polisi (Creizman LLC), Christopher N. LaVigne (Success Charter Schools), Denver G. Edwards (Bressler, Amery & Ross), Andy Lorin (Faegre Drinker Biddle & Reath), James D. Bainbridge (mystery man), Douglas Curran (Covington & Burling), Jonathan Sorkowitz (White & Case), David Hecht (Steptoe & Johnson), Michael Pomerantz (Grais & Ellsworth) and Patrick Bradford (New York City Council).
Into the Abyss
Efforts to contact the firm have been unsuccessful, however Hecht’s LinkedIn profile indicates an end to his Pierce Bainbridge tenure and the commencement of a “Full-Time” position as “Founding Partner at Hecht Partners.”
It is unclear if Hecht left of his own volition or if he was pushed out by apparent new management.
The future is uncertain for Hecht and his latest firm; while Pierce Bainbridge, the firm Hecht and Pierce advertised as headed for “domination” on a “world” and “global” scale, appears to be teetering on the brink of the abyss.
Recent News on LawFuel
- Court of Appeal Hear Grace Millane Murder Accused’s Trial MiscarriedThe man found guilty of the murder of Grace Millane is having his appeal against conviction […]
- Leading Cartel Defense & Antitrust Lawyer Joins Davis Polk From Gibson Dunn & CrutcherPowered by LawFuel – Washington DC, August 5, 2020 – Davis Polk today announced that D. Jarrett […]
- Coronavirus – Furlough bonus scheme and redundancy pay announcementsEversheds Sutherland – The government has published further details of the £1,000 employer bonus for every […]
- Doctor One of 10 Charged on Federal Opioid Trafficking ChargesSANTA ANA, California – Law enforcement authorities this morning arrested four defendants charged in two federal grand […]
- Tompkins Wake Expands With Addition of Mark Lowndes’ FirmIn a surprise move, well known corporate lawyer and name partner at his own firm, Mark […]
- Ed Buck Face Additional Charges Related to ProstitutionLOS ANGELES – A federal grand jury today returned a superseding indictment charging Edward Buck with four […]
- Law firm uses AI to slice months off insurance claimsMaurice Blackburn Lawyers has rolled out an artificial intelligence-infused solution that cuts the time taken to […]
- 5 Questions to Ask Your Bankruptcy Attorney Before You Hire ThemProblems created by the current pandemic are pushing up bankruptcies and the legal questions that arise […]
- Cyberstalker Threanted to Injury, Rape and Kill VictimsLOS ANGELES – A federal grand jury this afternoon returned a 26-count indictment that charges a Pasadena […]
- Death of Legal Star – ‘Star Wars’ Lawyer – Saddens HollywoodLeading entertainment lawyer Tom Pollock, who counted Star Wars creator George Lucas among his clients, has […]
- EY Survey Shows Cost Reduction Is Just One Way Pressures on In-House Law Departments Can Be Eased by Using Outside LawyersAs pressures mount on in-house legal departments and their in-house lawyers to meet the pressures corporates […]
- Law Firms Moving to Auckland’s Latest Hot SiteThe Commercial Bay development has attracted some of the major law firms to its waterfront location […]