Today (Friday 3 February), marks 50 years since the hanging of Ronald Ryan at Pentridge Prison in Melbourne. To mark the event, the Law Council of Australia is holding a national symposium on Australia’s Contribution to the Abolition of the Death Penalty with leading jurists, domestic and foreign policy experts and political decision makers.
When: Friday, 3 February 2017
9.00am – 3.00pm
Where: Auditoriums, Monash University Law Chambers,
555 Lonsdale Street, Melbourne
Who: Full Schedule is attached. Some of the 15+ speakers include:
· Fiona McLeod SC, President, Law Council of Australia.
· Tim Wilson MP, Federal Member for Goldstein.
· The Hon Mark Dreyfus QC MP, Shadow Attorney-General.
· Philip Ruddock, Special Envoy for Human Rights.
· Michael Phelan APM, Deputy Commissioner, AFP
· Julian McMahon, Barrister and President, Reprieve Australia.
· Christopher Holtby OBE, Consul-General, British Consulate (Mel).
· Dr Bruno Scholl, Counsellor and Head of Political and Public Diplomacy, Delegation of the EU to Australia.
· Prof. Donald Rothwell, Deputy Dean and Prof. of International Law, Australian National University.
Media contacts / registration:
· Patrick Pantano 02 6246 3715 (includes mobile)
· Anil Lambert 0416 426 722