New York, September 14, 2004 – Baker & McKenzie LLP announced today that David H. Spencer has joined the Firm’s Global Banking, Finance and Major Projects Group as a Partner in its New York office. An experienced project finance lawyer and recognized industry leader in the foreign and domestic capital markets and syndicated finance, Spencer joins Baker & McKenzie LLP from Stroock & Stroock & Lavan.
Spencer’s experience spans more than 20 years. He has been successful in attracting innovative structural and project finance work from high-profile banking institutions, and internationally, has structured and completed financings for projects and capital-intensive businesses in Latin America, Asia, and Central Europe. In addition, Spencer has significantly completed financings in a variety of sectors including oil & gas development; pipelines; steel and aluminium; ports; roads; railroads; petrochemicals; and wireless, cable and satellite communications.
“David’s international experience in the major projects and related finance area will complement our existing global platform and expand upon our breadth of services on the ground in New York,” said Janna H. J. Bellwin, a Partner in the New York office and Chairman of Firm’s North American Banking, Finance and Major Project Practice.
Baker & McKenzie LLP’s North American Banking, Finance and Major Project Practice also attracted the talent of Partners Bruce Baker and Todd Culwell earlier this month. Baker joined the Firm’s Chicago office from Winston & Strawn and concentrates his banking and finance practice in acquisitions, divestitures, corporate restructurings, recapitalizations, syndicated and single-bank financing for primarily middle-market companies. Culwell joined the Firm’s Houston office from Andrews & Kurth and focuses his practice on project finance and project development in the energy sector.
Commenting on Spencer’s joining, Gerald Hayes, Managing Partner of Baker & McKenzie LLP’s New York office said, “David’s successes in capital markets and syndicated finance confirm our commitment to the advancement of our New York office in support of our regional and global finance practices.”
Spencer received his B.A. in Mathematics from Harvard University in 1977, and his J.D. with high honors from Georgetown University Law Center in 1980. He practiced at Clifford Chance Rogers & Wells before joining Stroock & Stroock & Lavan in 2001.
For further details please contact:
Pamela Ulijasz, Global Press Office, Chicago on (312) 861-7617 or email@example.com
Notes to Editors
· Baker & McKenzie was listed as a “Top 20 Global Legal Advisor” in Dealogic’s Project Finance League Table for the 2003 Year End. In addition, for the second consecutive year, Baker & McKenzie’s Project Finance practice ranked among the top ten law firms by value of financings in The American Lawyer’s 2004 Corporate Scorecard, with total financing at $3.412 billion.
· Since 1949, Baker & McKenzie has provided sophisticated advice and legal services to many of the world’s most dynamic and successful organizations. Helping clients understand and thrive in diverse legal, political, social and economic systems made us one of the world’s largest law firms – and the first to be truly ‘global’.
· We are a network of more than 3,200 locally qualified, internationally experienced lawyers and 5,200 other professionals and staff in 68 locations in 38 countries. We have the knowledge, experience and resources to deliver the broad scope of quality legal services clients require to respond to both international and local needs.
· Ours is a diverse culture with a global mindset. We are citizens of over 60 countries, admitted to practice in nearly 250 jurisdictions, and speak more than 70 languages.
· Global revenues for FY03 exceeded US$1.134 billion.
· Christine Lagarde is Chairman of the Executive Committee.
· More information about Baker & McKenzie can be found at www.bakernet.com
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein with member law firms around the world. In accordance with the common terminology used in professional service organizations, reference to a “partner” means a person who is a partner, or equivalent, in such a law firm. Similarly, reference to an “office” means an office of any such law firm.