On Thursday 22nd January 2004, Clifford Chance was awarded the prestigious “Global Law Firm of the Year” Award at Project Finance International’s Annual Awards Ceremony.
Rodney Short, Paul Simpson, Bleddyn Phillips, Margaret Gossling, Malcolm Turner, Dan Reynell and Julian Nichol attended the event at the Dorchester Hotel in London and collected the award on behalf of Clifford Chance’s Worldwide Projects Group.
Rodney Short, Head of the Worldwide Projects Group, commented:
“The award is great recognition for all the group’s efforts over the last year and we are delighted to have received this award from such a highly regarded journal within the project finance market.”
Highlights of 2003 for the group include:
– Advising the borrower and project sponsors in relation to the US$1.2 billion financing of the Sohar Oil Refinery in the Sultanate of Oman. (PFI also awarded Sohar Refinery an award for “Europe, Middle East and Africa Deal of the Year – Oil & Gas).
– Advising the sponsor on the US$218m Ibiritermo Power Project, a 226MW gas-fired combined cycle power plant in Brazil and the US$1 billion Malhas Gas Pipeline Project in Brazil.
– Advising the sponsors on the US$2.2 billion Jubail United Petrochemicals Plant in Saudi Arabia.
– Advising on a number of European infrastructure projects including the R-4 Toll Motorway in Madrid and the Euro 1.7 billion Aeroporti di Roma refinancing in Italy.
– Advising the commercial lenders on the financing of the US$4.2 billion world scale high technology super-integrated Nanjing Petrochemical Complex to be jointly developed by BASF and Yangtze petrochemical company in China.
– Advising the lead arrangers on the Japanese Yen 140 billion financing for Jupiter Telecommunications Co., Ltd., the largest broadband and cable services provider in Japan.
– Advising on a number of UK PFI Projects including Lancaster University Accommodation Project, the QinetiQ Project and South Derby Hospital Project.
Other shortlisted nominees for the award were Allen & Overy, Shearman & Sterling, Latham & Watkins and Milbank Tweed.