Police are disappointed in the decision of Solicitor General David Collins’ failure to authorise the laying of terrorism charges against those arrested in recent Police raids in the North Island, but satisfied that they have “done their duty”.
Solicitor-General David Collins said he had advised the Commissioner of Police that he was “unable to authorise” the prosecutions under the Terrorism Act, the New Zealand Press Association reported.
Twelve of the 17 people arrested in the October 15 raids were referred to the solicitor-general’s office for possible prosecution under the Act.
LAWFUEL – New Zealand Law News & Jobs – Political and environmental activists are among those charged with firearms and other offences following last month’s raids, amid claims some suspects had taken part in military-style training camps.
“The Solicitor-General’s tribute to the professionalism and integrity of the New Zealand Police in bringing to an end what he has described as very disturbing activities without a single shot being fired, injury or loss of life will buoy up my staff who have been the butt of considerable comment and criticism since October 15,” Police Commissioner Howard Broad said in a statement.
“Police accept the Solicitor-General’s decision secure in the knowledge that we have done our duty. We have investigated, gathered and analysed evidence, made arrests and laid charges before the courts and sought advice on other charges. This is a fundamental expectation that New Zealanders have of the Police – that we will intervene where public safety is at risk.”
Mr Collins said he had considered in detail the evidence, including correspondence and video footage but he said the evidence didn’t meet the criteria outlined in the legislation