Dr. Zena Prodromou, Senior Associate in Quinn Emanuel’s Brussels office, published recently “The public order exception in international trade, investment, human rights and commercial disputes“. Parties to international disputes increasingly invoke the need to protect the domestic public order in order to justify actions otherwise in breach of their obligations under international law. The term public order nevertheless remains unclear as do the criteria and factors against which different international dispute bodies assess the parties’ respective claims. Dr. Prodromou’s book is the first to present, systematize and synthesize all relevant jurisprudence in this field of law and provides practical insights to any party wishing to invoke the public order exception in the context of international trade, investment human rights or commercial disputes.
Dr. Prodromou’s monograph has been described as:
“[…] the most comprehensive treatment of public order as it appears in trade integration and/or investment liberalization international contracts. A must-read book for academics and practitioners alike”.
– Petros C. Mavroidis, Edwin B Parker Professor of Law
at Columbia Law School, New York
“[…] one of the leading monographs on the issue of public order as interpreted and applied by the European Court of Human Rights. A must-read for anybody who wishes to assess interferences with human rights and whether or not they can be justified”.
– Prof. Dr. iur. Mark E. Villiger, formerly Judge and Section President
at the European Court of Human Rights
As the largest business litigation and arbitration firm in the world, Quinn Emanuel is uniquely positioned to assist litigants in a wide range of international disputes. With over 800 lawyers, many of them dual-qualified, and 23 offices in 11 countries, our firm has as a significant part of its practice litigation involving disputes in multiple jurisdictions.
- Florida Lawyer In Jailhouse Sex Filming Loses LicenceA Florida lawyer who filmed himself soliciting sex from three inmates, one being a porn actress in jail, has had his law licence removed Andrew Spark, […] More
- Heard of ‘Ecocide?’ Is It The Latest Environmental Law Growth Area?Environmental law is a growth area, without doubt, with climate change and a range of related issues occupying increasing numbers of lawyers in the environment law […] More
- Morgan Lewis: Biden Administration Issues Order on Gender Identity and Sexual OrientationAs one of his first actions in office, President Joe Biden has issued an executive order ensuring that last year’s US Supreme Court decision in Bostock v. […] More
- Another Law Firm Dumps The Trump Legal WorkLaw firm Morgan Lewis & Bockius previously handled tax law representation for former president Donald Trump and his company have said they will stop representing him […] More
- Employment Litigation Partner Joins Kaufman Dolowich & Voluck in LA(January 22, 2021, Los Angeles, CA) — Powered by LawFuel – Kaufman Dolowich & Voluck LLP (KDV), a leading national law firm, today announced that Allyson K. Thompson […] More