Dr. Zena Prodromou, Senior Associate in Quinn Emanuel’s Brussels office, published recently “The public order exception in international trade, investment, human rights and commercial disputes“. Parties to international disputes increasingly invoke the need to protect the domestic public order in order to justify actions otherwise in breach of their obligations under international law. The term public order nevertheless remains unclear as do the criteria and factors against which different international dispute bodies assess the parties’ respective claims. Dr. Prodromou’s book is the first to present, systematize and synthesize all relevant jurisprudence in this field of law and provides practical insights to any party wishing to invoke the public order exception in the context of international trade, investment human rights or commercial disputes.
Dr. Prodromou’s monograph has been described as:
“[…] the most comprehensive treatment of public order as it appears in trade integration and/or investment liberalization international contracts. A must-read book for academics and practitioners alike”.
– Petros C. Mavroidis, Edwin B Parker Professor of Law
at Columbia Law School, New York
“[…] one of the leading monographs on the issue of public order as interpreted and applied by the European Court of Human Rights. A must-read for anybody who wishes to assess interferences with human rights and whether or not they can be justified”.
– Prof. Dr. iur. Mark E. Villiger, formerly Judge and Section President
at the European Court of Human Rights
As the largest business litigation and arbitration firm in the world, Quinn Emanuel is uniquely positioned to assist litigants in a wide range of international disputes. With over 800 lawyers, many of them dual-qualified, and 23 offices in 11 countries, our firm has as a significant part of its practice litigation involving disputes in multiple jurisdictions.
- Directors in New Zealand and Australia are facing the most volatile and restrictive liability insurance market in living memory, according to a report released today by […]
- Dan Garner – Female law firm leadership ranks are growing – albeit slowly – but in the London law scene the first of the Magic Circle […]
- Wrongful Death Claims And How They Can Be ProvenProving a wrongful death case is something that will vary according to the laws in different states, although certain underlying principals apply as to the specifics […]
- Westpack Hit With Largest-Ever Civil Penalty in AustraliaWestpac Group (ASX: WBC) will pay $1.3 billion in penalties after admitting to breaching anti-money laundering and counter-terrorism laws on more than 23 million occasions. The […]
- Eversheds Sutherland announces two new Global Co-Chairs of its International Arbitration Practice(September 22, 2020) – Eversheds Sutherland has announced a new leadership team for its global International Arbitration Practice, which will be co-lead by partners Jonathan Leach and […]