Dr. Zena Prodromou, Senior Associate in Quinn Emanuel’s Brussels office, published recently “The public order exception in international trade, investment, human rights and commercial disputes“. Parties to international disputes increasingly invoke the need to protect the domestic public order in order to justify actions otherwise in breach of their obligations under international law. The term public order nevertheless remains unclear as do the criteria and factors against which different international dispute bodies assess the parties’ respective claims. Dr. Prodromou’s book is the first to present, systematize and synthesize all relevant jurisprudence in this field of law and provides practical insights to any party wishing to invoke the public order exception in the context of international trade, investment human rights or commercial disputes.
Dr. Prodromou’s monograph has been described as:
“[…] the most comprehensive treatment of public order as it appears in trade integration and/or investment liberalization international contracts. A must-read book for academics and practitioners alike”.
– Petros C. Mavroidis, Edwin B Parker Professor of Law
at Columbia Law School, New York
“[…] one of the leading monographs on the issue of public order as interpreted and applied by the European Court of Human Rights. A must-read for anybody who wishes to assess interferences with human rights and whether or not they can be justified”.
– Prof. Dr. iur. Mark E. Villiger, formerly Judge and Section President
at the European Court of Human Rights
As the largest business litigation and arbitration firm in the world, Quinn Emanuel is uniquely positioned to assist litigants in a wide range of international disputes. With over 800 lawyers, many of them dual-qualified, and 23 offices in 11 countries, our firm has as a significant part of its practice litigation involving disputes in multiple jurisdictions.
- ‘You’re The Reason God Gave Us a Middle Finger’ – Abusive Emails Achieve Suspension For LawyerLaw Society Tribunal suspends lawyer for misconduct over abusive emails sent to litigant From the NZ Law Society – John Paul Schlooz has accepted two charges […] More
- Legal Tech News – Rocket Lawyer Obtains Further Funding InjectionThe case management software business continues its global expansion Online legal services provider Rocket Lawyer has received a £161m funding injection to meet growing demand for […] More
- World’s Largest Law Firm Growth Conference Taking Place June 24-25Two-day virtual EVOLVE Summit from Crisp Video to feature robust lineup of disruptive leaders including Seth Godin, Michael Lemonis, Judy Smith and many others ATLANTA, April 22, […] More
- TikTok Sued Over Alleged Illicit Collection From Child UsersFormer children’s commissioner for England launches case against video-sharing app Video-sharing app TikTok is being sued in an action commenced by a former children’s commissioner for […] More
- ISIS New York Subway Bomber Gets Life Imprisonment“Ullah’s motive was clear and unambiguous: a deeply held ideological hatred for America.” Audrey Strauss, the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York, John […] More