Dr. Zena Prodromou, Senior Associate in Quinn Emanuel’s Brussels office, published recently “The public order exception in international trade, investment, human rights and commercial disputes“. Parties to international disputes increasingly invoke the need to protect the domestic public order in order to justify actions otherwise in breach of their obligations under international law. The term public order nevertheless remains unclear as do the criteria and factors against which different international dispute bodies assess the parties’ respective claims. Dr. Prodromou’s book is the first to present, systematize and synthesize all relevant jurisprudence in this field of law and provides practical insights to any party wishing to invoke the public order exception in the context of international trade, investment human rights or commercial disputes.
Dr. Prodromou’s monograph has been described as:
“[…] the most comprehensive treatment of public order as it appears in trade integration and/or investment liberalization international contracts. A must-read book for academics and practitioners alike”.
– Petros C. Mavroidis, Edwin B Parker Professor of Law
at Columbia Law School, New York
“[…] one of the leading monographs on the issue of public order as interpreted and applied by the European Court of Human Rights. A must-read for anybody who wishes to assess interferences with human rights and whether or not they can be justified”.
– Prof. Dr. iur. Mark E. Villiger, formerly Judge and Section President
at the European Court of Human Rights
As the largest business litigation and arbitration firm in the world, Quinn Emanuel is uniquely positioned to assist litigants in a wide range of international disputes. With over 800 lawyers, many of them dual-qualified, and 23 offices in 11 countries, our firm has as a significant part of its practice litigation involving disputes in multiple jurisdictions.
- An OMG Look At Clifford Chance’s Swanky London Digs, Courtesy of Law Blogger
- US Gun Industry Lobby Responds to Major Mexican Gun LawsuitThe major lawsuit brought by the Mexican government suing US gun manufacturers and distributors for assisting in the unleashing of deaths and violence in Mexico has …
- Winston Peters’ Case: The Appeal Regarding Invasion of Privacy and Other Matters – NZ Court of Appeal
- London Law Jobs = Big Money + 7 Day Work WeeksThe booming legal market in London has driven pay rates up, but also meant those with the prized London law jobs are having to work up …
- UK Law Firm Lodders Launches Biggest Ever Law Recruitment DriveLodders has unveiled plans for its biggest-ever recruitment drive in its 230-year history, to grow its workforce by more than 25 percent to take its total …