RESTON, February 18, 2005 – LAWFUEL – The Law News Network – DLA Piper Rudnick Gray Cary US LLP, a leading global law firm announced today that Clayton Thompson has joined its Reston office as a partner in the patent litigation group.
John Dougherty, a co-chair of the group, said, “We have worked with Clayton on mutual clients in the past and admire his intelligence, his persuasive arguments, both oral and written, his thorough grasp of the technology and his ability to make others comprehend, and his willingness to work long and hard. His electrical engineering degree and experience will be invaluable in infringement litigation matters involving computers, telecommunications and related technologies.” “I am looking forward to joining DLA Piper,” said Mr. Thompson “The firm’s recently completed mergers give it superb IP strengths, in both the transactional and dispute sides, and worldwide reach. We have a number of high-tech companies in common, so I expect to be able to hit the ground running.” Mr. Thompson received his B.S. in Electrical Engineering from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University in 1993 and his J.D. from Mercer University in 1997. He is a member of the Virginia and District of Columbia bars.
He is experienced in all aspects of patent and intellectual property litigation. In addition to his active litigation practice, he has significant experience implementing licensing programs and negotiating agreements. Mr. Thompson has lectured on various litigation and licensing topics and is an adjunct law professor at George Mason University School of Law, where he teaches Patent and Know-How Licensing.
# # #
About DLA Piper Rudnick Gray Cary
DLA Piper Rudnick Gray Cary operates across the US, Europe, and Asia, offering 2,700 lawyers in 49 cities in 18 countries.
The firm provides an extensive range of legal services through seven global practice groups:
• Corporate and Finance – On the corporate and finance side, we operate significant transactional-based practices and serve not only some of the world’s largest companies but numerous middle and upper-mid market clients. The firm is on the panels of a number of major banks and financial institutions and has a substantial bankruptcy and restructuring practice.
• Litigation – The group brings together more than 800 top litigators in the US, Europe and Asia and offers lawyers experienced in patent, class action, securities, antitrust, banking and finance, technology, telecommunications and insurance disputes.
• Real Estate – With over 200 real estate lawyers in both the US and the UK, our real estate practice is one of the most highly ranked in the world, serving the needs of developers, corporations, retailers and investors.
• Legislative and Regulatory – At the federal and state level in the US, and in the individual countries of Europe as well as the EU, our people understand the legislative and regulatory process. To the strengths of our team, which includes our chairman, Senator George J. Mitchell, we add the firm’s alliance with The Cohen Group, the international business consulting firm.
• Human resources – With more than 200 lawyers located in key jurisdictions around the world, our human resources and labor lawyers are equipped to handle both local employment issues and complex cross-border transactions.
• Commercial – The group will be a market leader in European Public Private Partnerships (PPPs) and the provision of infrastructure and project finance services to sponsors and funders internationally. The group has lawyers who are particularly experienced in energy, sports, water, defense, healthcare and transportation, and is also recognized worldwide for its top-ranked franchise and distribution practice.
• Technology, Media and Communications (TMC) – This global practice represents a combination of market-leading teams in information technology/outsourcing, telecommunications, patent, trademark, copyright, media, e-business, sport, data protection and privacy. With over 420 lawyers globally it will be one of the leading global TMC/TMT practices.