Pip Greenwood, one of New Zealand’s leading commercial lawyers and partner at Russell McVeagh, has announced her retirement from the firm in the first quarter of 2019. Pip had delayed her plans to transition into governance full-time and expand her directorship roles at Fisher & Paykel Healthcare and Spark, in order to help lead the firm through the challenges it has faced in the lead-up and following Dame Margaret Bazley’s Report.
Pip has been with Russell McVeagh for 18 years, and has more than ten years’ experience on the firm’s board, previously serving as Board Chair. Pip has won numerous industry awards throughout this time, including being the only five-time ‘NZ Dealmaker of the Year’ award-winner as announced at the Australasian Law Awards in May this year.
Pip put her plans on hold to help lead Russell McVeagh through the commissioning and subsequent public release of the landmark Dame Margaret Bazley Report. In the role of interim CEO, Pip initiated a cultural transformation to implement the recommendations of the Report.
The appointment of a new CEO, Jo Avenell, ensures commitment to and continuity of the process underway with the support of a team focused on continuing the work begun.
Board Chair Malcolm Crotty said Pip has been a credit to the organisation and has led many of the firms’ high-profile commercial deals and mergers which have changed the face of industries, including advising on last year’s only NZX listing – the dual listing of Oceania Healthcare on the New Zealand and Australian exchanges, the IPOs of Fonterra Shareholders’ Fund and Meridian Energy, and the demerger of Telecom.
“In addition to her professional excellence, Pip has played a leading role in changes within our profession. I am grateful to Pip for putting her own plans on hold in order to lead the internal changes as interim CEO and she leaves the firm well placed to continue with a revitalised culture,” he says.
Pip Greenwood says the past 18 years has exceeded all of her expectations and she will take incredible memories and experiences with her.
“Russell McVeagh is a great firm and has wonderful people in it, and I have been fortunate to work with some of the best in our industry.
“I leave the firm in great hands and I look forward to watching Jo Avenell lead the firm into a new era of success,” she says.
Awards and recognition for Pip Greenwood include:
- New Zealand Dealmaker of the Year five times at the Australasian Law Awards, in 2018, 2016, 2012, 2010 and 2008.
- A leading Corporate lawyer by Chambers Asia-Pacific. Clients say: ‘she is one of the top commercial lawyers in New Zealand.’
- A leading lawyer in M&A and Capital Markets by the IFLR 1000.
- A leading lawyer in Capital Markets and Corporate/M&A by Asialaw Profiles 2018.
- Best Lawyers® in New Zealand – a leading lawyer in Capital Markets, Corporate Law, Leveraged Buyouts, and Mergers and Acquisitions.
- A finalist for Westpac and Fairfax’s Women of Influence Awards in 2017 and 2015.
- Named on the annual LawFuel PowerList 2017 at number 16 of New Zealand’s top 50 powerful lawyers.
- ILO Client Choice Lawyer of the Year – M&A New Zealand 2013.
- Australasian Women in Business Law – M&A Lawyer of the Year 2012.