He’s not known for holding back on his views, but Sir Robert Jones has taken to task the Government’s reaction to the pandemic, saying it will probably cost Labour the election and lead to massive economic pain, layoffs and business failures.
The government pursued a policy of “mindlessly aping Britain” with an array of nonsensical, busy-body rules.
He was, however, firm in the view that the resulting economic and social pain will lead to a change at the polls too when the savage recession, which he believes will lead to a depression, bites the country hard.
“By election time the Jacinda aura will be dead in the water as she learns the truth of another famous political adage, namely Enoch Powell’s correct but sad assertion that all political careers end in failure.”
The Busy-Body Rules
“Everyone other than company receivers will suffer. The tourist related businesses; hotels, flights, travel agents, motels etc. etc. employing circa 300,000 people are gone. That’s not the governments fault but all the more reason for some common-sense with the balance of our economy which was sadly lacking.
“Some economists are talking 10% unemployment. I hope that’s true but will be very happy if it’s only 25% although I expect for a time, an even higher figure.”
Writing in his blog, Sir Robert said he agrees with the IMF prediction of a 1030s style depression.
“Borrowing billions to dish out is no substitute for people working.
“The government should end the lockdown forthwith, stress the social distancing and hand-washing rules and try to minimise the damage. Then concentrate their protection efforts on the vulnerable, namely the elderly.”
Read More From New Zealand’s Most-Read Law News Site
- Law Firm Bonus News: The Cravaths Bonuses Arrive At A Time of COVID ‘Thank You’ BonusesThe gold standard for law firm bonuses is generally whatever Cravaths decides to […]
- The Power-Lifting, In-House Lawyer Who Dismisses a Harvey Specter Comparison & Rises To CEOIt was not difficult for in-house lawyer Patrick Gamble to shrug off a […]
- The Splendour & Sustainability of Chapman Tripp – Who Said The Law Office Was Dead?Chapman Tripp’s new digs in the Commercial Bay development spare little expense, as […]
- Russell McVeagh Works with EQC On New Natural Disaster ApproachRussell McVeagh has been working alongside the Earthquake Commission (EQC) on a project that will […]
- The Stealthy Tactic To Choose The Right SEO Keywords That is Guaranteed To Boost Your Law Firm SEO In The Next 30 Days. . and yet hardly anyone is doing it How do you choose […]
- ‘Fake News’, Says Jones Day Over US Election Voter Fraud Challenge . . But The News RemainsThe chaotic US election has been enveloped in the ‘voter fraud’ controversy, which […]
- Boies Schiller Continues to Make the News . . Some Not So GoodHigh flying and aggressive US-based law firm Boies Schiller continues to make the […]