He may say he’s sorry, but Boston marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev has been formally sentenced to death.
The apology and his request for forgiveness came when Tsarnaev, 21, appeared for sentencing after he was found guilty of killing three people and injuring 264 during the bombing at the Boston Marathon in 2013.
He was found guilty in April and the capital penalty was determined by the same jury in May.
Tsarnaev’s remarks at his sentencing were the first time the Chechen, who did not speak in his own defence during his trial, had addressed the court.
“I am sorry for the lives I have taken, for the suffering that I have caused you, for the damage I have done, irreparable damage,” Tsarnaev said.
“In case there is any doubt, I am guilty of this attack, along with my brother.”
As long as your name is mentioned, what will be remembered is the evil you’ve done said Judge George O’Toole.
Tsarnaev asked forgiveness for himself and his dead brother.
“I ask Allah to have mercy upon me, my brother and my family,” Tsarnaev said.
“I ask Allah to bestow his mercy upon those who are here today.”
Tsarnaev, who had been criticised by victims and Boston news media for his diffident, passive posture during his trial, said he had been moved by the months of testimony about the bombing’s toll.
“You told me how horrendous this was, this burden that I put you through,” Tsarnaev said.
Referring to the two dozen people who spoke on Wednesday, he said, “I wish that four more people had a chance to get up there, but I took them from you”.
Source: ABC News
[table id=9 /]