Crain’s Chicago Business has named Chicago partners Mary Rose Alexander, Cathy Birkeland, Caroline Reckler, and Terra Reynolds to its 2020 Notable Women in Law list in recognition of their exceptional professional achievements and dedication to civic, philanthropic, and mentoring activities.
Mary Rose Alexander, Global Chair of both Latham’s Environmental Litigation Practice and Women Enriching Business Committee, helps Fortune 500 companies overcome high-stakes legal challenges. As highlighted in a profile published by Crain’s, Mary Rose in the last 18 months has secured major trial victories and resolved class actions for a number of clients. She is also leading the firm’s efforts on many initiatives designed to promote women in the profession and serves as an advisor to nonprofit Equal Justice Works, having served on its Board for more than a decade.
Cathy Birkeland, Chicago Office Managing Partner and former Global Co-Chair of the Capital Markets Practice, advises clients on sophisticated capital markets and spin-off transactions, corporate governance, and securities law matters. As highlighted in a profile published by Crain’s, this year Cathy has advised on a number of high-profile IPOs and other capital raising transactions. She is also leading Latham’s Chicago Taskforce for the Commitment to Racial Justice & Equality, which is dedicated to fighting racial injustice and promoting equality through pro bono efforts.
Caroline Reckler, Chair of Latham’s Chicago Finance Department, is a nationally recognized bankruptcy lawyer, advising debtors around the world on all aspects of restructuring and special situations. As highlighted in a profile published by Crain’s, Caroline has been at the helm of numerous recent high-profile Chapter 11 proceedings and other restructurings and special situations. She previously led the firm’s Women Enriching Business Committee in Chicago and remains involved in its programming. Additionally, Caroline serves as guardian ad litem with Chicago Volunteer Legal Services and as pro bono counsel for nonprofit A Better Chicago.
Terra Reynolds, Co-Chair of the Chicago Litigation & Trial Department and Vice Chair of Latham’s Healthcare and Life Sciences Industry Group, represents clients in white collar criminal defense, internal and government investigations, and complex litigation matters. As highlighted in a profile published by Crain’s, Terra, a former federal prosecutor, this year successfully resolved four years of litigation against her client and its subsidiaries, which had faced allegations of False Claims Act and Anti-Kickback Statute violations. Terra co-leads the Chicago chapter of the Women’s White Collar Defense Association.
- Racehorse Doping Charges: Defendants On “the supply side of a market of greed that continues to endanger racehorses through the sale of performance-enhancing drugs”.TWO PLEAD GUILTY TO RACEHORSE DOPING CHARGES Audrey Strauss, the Acting United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York, announced that two defendants, SCOTT ROBINSON and SARAH IZHAKI, […]
- Kramon & Graham boosts senior administrative team with new appointmentsPowered by LawFuel – Baltimore, MD (September 16, 2020) — Kramon & Graham, a leading law firm providing litigation, real estate, and transactional services, has made three new appointments, strengthening the […]
- Buchalter Expands Its Tax and Estate Planning Practices with the Addition of Two New Shareholders in Los Angeles and San DiegoPowered by LawFuel – Buchalter is pleased to announce the welcome additions of Joseph K. Fletcher III and Laura Lamb Nichols to its Tax & Estate Planning and Corporate Law […]
- 3 Strategies Lawyers Are Using Successfully to Prosper With Remote Working ConditionsJen Dezso* Remote working has proven to be largely a success — at least from the perspective of lawyer wellbeing. The impact of remote working on lawyer wellbeing explains why […]
- Big Law Belt Tightening Hits Both Younger & Older Lawyers as The Pandemic Bites Law FirmsIn the new era of COVID-invoked recession law firms are developing new strategies to cope with a downturn in work and revenues. Beyond furloughs, pay cuts and layoffs (disclosed or […]
- Prestigious UK Law Firm Investigated Over Money Laundering IssuesMischcon de Reya is one of the more prestigious law firms in the UK, gaining prominence for its 1995 representation of Princess Diana in her divorce from Prince Charles. However […]