The Vatican scandal over a gone-wrong London property investment has proved difficult for one of the Vatican’s senior Cardinals, but in a bizarre twist it has also lead to a sun-bathing lawyer representing the Cardinal to lose his job too.
Cardinal Angelo Becciu is at the center of a dispute over a luxury Chelsea property, one of London’s best neighbourhoods, which has seen the arrest of a man charged with “extortion, embezzlement, aggravated fraud and self laundering”.
Cardinal Becciu’s has resigned his position and renounced his rights after finding himself implicated in the financial scandal involving the purchase of the luxury building.
But his lawyer, Ivano Iai, a recreational body builder, has had to resign his role representing the Cardinal after he had posted a series of photographs of himself on Instagram and Twitter, in a seaside setting and arching playfully across a rock.
“I gave up the job,” Iai said in a statement on Tuesday, saying he was “sorry” that his social media presence had added to the difficulties of the cardinal and his family.
“With great sorrow I communicate that I have renounced the mandate given to me by the Becciu family who honored me with their uncommon trust and affection,” Iai said.
The Vatican later accused Italian middlemen, who were part of the fund, of allegedly fleecing the Holy See of millions of euros in fees in respect of the London investment.
Officials did not put investigate Becciu, who has denied any wrongdoing.
- What Are The Top 10 Legal Billing Software Tools?We took at look at the G2.com, the software platform that ranks the top software tools by […] More
- Clifford Chance Appoint Most Women Ever In Latest PromotionsSee Law Jobs on the LawFuel Network Here Clifford Chance has promoted 29 lawyers to partner in […] More
- Preparing For The Future of WorkBusiness law partner at Foley & Lardner, Silicon Valley, writes about the challenges of post-Pandemic workplaces and […] More
- Gender Equality in Law – London Law Firms Take 9 of 50 Top Spots For The Times’ Top 50 Employers of Women ListThe Times list compiled by Business in the Community (BITC) includes employers from the banking, consultancy, insurance, […] More
- Russell McVeagh Congratulates INFINZ Awards FinalistsBoard Chair Allison Arthur-Young said, “Congratulations to all of our clients and their advisers who are finalists ahead of […] More