An aggressive malware infection has created major problems for a major law firm.
Seyfarth Shaw, a global legal firm with Australian offices, said it is the victim of an “aggressive malware” attack that it believes to be ransomware.
The firm, which is headquartered in the US but has a regional presence including in Sydney and Melbourne, said in a statement that it was attacked on October 10 US time.
“Seyfarth was the victim of a sophisticated and aggressive malware attack,” it said in an advisory.
“At this time, our email system remains down. Our phone system is still functioning.”
The firm said that it was but one of an undisclosed number of companies hit “simultaneously” by the same attackers.
“We understand that a number of other entities were simultaneously hit with this same attack,” it said.
“Our monitoring systems detected the unauthorised activity, and our IT team acted quickly to prevent its spread and protect our systems.
“We have found no evidence that any of our client or firm data were accessed or removed.
“However, many of our systems were encrypted, and we have shut them down as a precautionary measure.”
The firm said it is “coordinating with the FBI” and “working around the clock to bring our systems back online as quickly and safely as possible.”
- Alternative Legal Provider Services Boom As Lines Between Traditional and ALSPs BlurLaw firms and legal departments are increasingly using alternative legal service provders’ services a new survey shows
- The Law Firm Making Crypto-Collapse Millions From The FTX DebacleThe Big Law firm making millions from the FTX crypto empire collapse
- Finding the Right Environmental Lawyer for You: How to Choose the Best Fit for Your NeedsEnvironment law is one of the fastest-growing areas of legal practice, with specialist firms and boutiques rubbing shoulders with …
- Forget the Law Office Dress Codes Says This Firm’s Law Star BossLaw Star Ayesha Vardag is revising the dress code for lawyers at her London office, telling them to ‘bring your personality to work’
- Former Big Law Chief Resigns to Dedicate Time to Helping Children in NeedBig Law leader takes on new role helping kids after featuring in Big Law salary scale rankings
- Which Are The Best Civil Rights Law Firms in NYC?Choosing a top civil rights lawyer in NYC is more than checking online – it involves careful choice based on experience and commitment