An aggressive malware infection has created major problems for a major law firm.
Seyfarth Shaw, a global legal firm with Australian offices, said it is the victim of an “aggressive malware” attack that it believes to be ransomware.
The firm, which is headquartered in the US but has a regional presence including in Sydney and Melbourne, said in a statement that it was attacked on October 10 US time.
“Seyfarth was the victim of a sophisticated and aggressive malware attack,” it said in an advisory.
“At this time, our email system remains down. Our phone system is still functioning.”
The firm said that it was but one of an undisclosed number of companies hit “simultaneously” by the same attackers.
“We understand that a number of other entities were simultaneously hit with this same attack,” it said.
“Our monitoring systems detected the unauthorised activity, and our IT team acted quickly to prevent its spread and protect our systems.
“We have found no evidence that any of our client or firm data were accessed or removed.
“However, many of our systems were encrypted, and we have shut them down as a precautionary measure.”
The firm said it is “coordinating with the FBI” and “working around the clock to bring our systems back online as quickly and safely as possible.”
- TikTok Sued Over Alleged Illicit Collection From Child UsersFormer children’s commissioner for England launches case against video-sharing app Video-sharing app TikTok is being sued in an action […] More
- Listed UK Law Firms Action Continues as Legal Services Company Acquires Specialist Law FirmThe bounce-back and resilience of the listed law firms continues in the UK The UK listed law firms’ action […] More
- Listed UK Law Firms That Took Pandemic ‘Hit’ Bounce BackThe COVID pandemic hit listed legal services businesses in the UK, but there may now be revived interest in […] More
- Lawyer’s Conduct Amounted to Sexual Harassment, Law Society Committee SaysA Standards Committee has found there was unsatisfactory conduct by a lawyer, L, for conduct amounting to sexual harassment. […] More
- Social Media Marketing for Lawyers: 12 Key TipsSocial media marketing for lawyers More
- What Fields of Law Make the Most Money Today? The 6 Existing and Emerging Fields Of Law Offering Big Fees for LawyersIt’s a simple question to ask which are the best fields of law for lawyers to work in that […] More