The coronavirus has bitten the revenues and bottom lines for Big Law firms as a range of practices take major measures to reduce the impact of the pandemic on revenues and profits and the prospects of layoffs rises.
Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft has cut compensation for associates and other employees by up to 25 per cent.
Patrick Quinn, Cadwalader’s managing partner, told employees in an email on Tuesday that “partners have been told not to expect any distributions during the peak months of the crisis” and that pay for legal staff, including associates, counsel and special counsel, and senior administrative staff will be cut by 25 per cent for approximately the next four months.
Allen & Overy has deferred bonus payments and called for partners to make capital contributions to help protect itself.
The firm is having a cash call and also reducing partner profit distributions, as well as freezing associate and other salaries. It reportedly will also not undertake annual salary reviews that are due in the first quarter of the financial year.
“The COVID-19 global crisis is an unprecedented situation for us and our clients,” Allen & Overy said in the statement. “The firm is in a very strong financial position but given the unknown nature of the evolving challenges, and their long term impact on our markets, it is sensible to introduce some prudent management measures as part of our ongoing scenario planning.
Plus Other Pandemic Moves
A raft of other law firms are also taking moves to minimize the impact of the pandemic, including Reed Smith, which is reducing partner distributions.
Indeed almost all major law firms are taking actions to ensure their financial viability. Generally the consideration of bonus payment and redundancies, as well as recruitment plans, are all major issues for law firms.
Most lawyers are saying they expect redundancies and expect some sort of radical restructuring of practices in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic and the impact of layoffs for lawyers.
Recently on LawFuel
- Who Are The Power Law Firms Getting A Cut In The Bill & Melinda Gates Divorce?. . And Who Are The Two Sole Practice Attorneys Who Are Facing Off Again In Their […] More
- 7 Key Questions To Ask ANY Law Firm SEO Agency BEFORE You Hire ThemHiring a law firm SEO agency requires some smart ‘interview’ techniques – here are some key questions to ask More
- Litigation PR: an important tool in the litigation toolboxLitigation PR is increasingly popular overseas . . and catching on in New Zealand, lead by a […] More
- Two New Partners at Edwin Coe5 May 2021 – Powered by LawFuel Edwin Coe is delighted to announce that Claire Lehr (Intellectual Property) […] More
- The Big Law Death Row Success Story of Crosley GreenThe story of how Crowell & Moring Helped free Crosley Green 32 years’ prison . . including 19 […] More
- Law Firm HFW Expands Greater China Transactional Practice With Shanghai In-House HiresGlobal, sector-focused law firm HFW has continued to expand its fast-growing Greater China transactional practice with the […] More
- Sullivan & Cromwell Lead Lawyers Feature in Bloomberg’s ‘Leading Questions’ on Law Firm StrategiesThe Vice chairs talk about strategies for law firms to retain clients and more Vice chairs Bob […] More
- Legal Technology: Wolters Kluwer ELM Solutions eBook Shows Steps for Corporate Legal Departments to Drive Change ManagementCLDs can best manage change through advanced technology, domain expertise and success management. May […] More
- Chapman Tripp on Most Innovative Law Firm ListDescribed as the ‘one to watch’ in New Zealand’s legaltech industry, Chapman Tripp with […] More
- Law Schools to Incorporate More Maori in Law CoursesAUT’s newly appointed Interim Dean, Khylee Quince has announced that there will be more […] More
- Akerman LLP Expands Corporate Law Practice in Washington DCAkerman LLP, a top 100 U.S. law firm, has expanded its Corporate Practice Group […] More
- UK Law News – Fast-Growing Knights Buys Another Law FirmKnights, the UK’s fastest growing legal and professional services business, today announces that it has […] More
- Intellectual Property Law Firm Services Market Research Report on Major PlayersWhite & Case, Venable, Sidley Austin, Morrison & Foerster, McDermott Will & Emery, Latham […] More
- Who Are The Power Law Firms Getting A Cut In The Bill & Melinda Gates Divorce?. . And Who Are The Two Sole Practice Attorneys Who Are Facing Off […] More