Sir Robert Jones’ latest blog post castigates the Prime Minister for the needless lockdown with “depression, suicides, family violence and despair” lying ahead.
“For by the time the virus reached our shores we knew from the evidence elsewhere who it killed and why. Instead, the government acted as if it could kill us all, in the process damaging the economy and pushing us into at the least, a five year depression.
“The goal should have been to get people back to work, publicise the spacing and insist on face masks.
“More people would have copped the virus but in the vast majority of cases, as the evidence abroad shows, been back on deck in a week.”
Need for Legislation
While the lockdown was legal, Sir Robert notes the recent failure of the application for a write of habeas corpus but saying legislation should prevent the wholesale lockdowns such as we have experienced occurring again.
“We must never again allow a situation where the law allows a young woman with much charm and little real world experience, to legally take such dictatorial powers.
“The current legislation needs to be reconsidered in Parliament. While it’s conceivable situations could arise in the future requiring such a heavy-handed approach, the supporting legislation should require say a 75% Parliamentary vote.
“Had that existed there would have been sufficient pragmatists in the Opposition plus NZ First that would have prevented the disaster we have lying ahead.”
Read More on LawFuel
- The Future of NZ Law Jobs Likely To Take a Downward Dive, Says Legal RecruiterDramatically Changed Landscape Confronts Legal Profession From skills shortages and high demand for […]
- Senior Criminal Law Barrister Who Pulled Faces at Judge FinedMarguerite Russell is a highly experienced and capable criminal law barrister, but her […]
- LawFuel Young Litigator SurveyWho Are New Zealand’s Up and Coming Litigators? Complete our confidential survey and […]
- How This Dunedin Lawyer Provided A Post-COVID Surprise MoveDunedin lawyer Jenny Beck had called a staff meeting, post-lockdown, to discuss a […]
- Law Firm Practice Management – London Law Firm Selects Aderant ExpertLONDON – 4 June, 2020 ––UK firm Macfarlanes has selected Aderant Expert as […]
- Law Firm Joins Black Lives Matter Lawsuit Against Trump Over Floyd ProtestsBlack Lives Matter has obtained the assistance of law firm Arnold Porter Kaye […]