Sir Robert Jones’ latest blog post castigates the Prime Minister for the needless lockdown with “depression, suicides, family violence and despair” lying ahead.
“For by the time the virus reached our shores we knew from the evidence elsewhere who it killed and why. Instead, the government acted as if it could kill us all, in the process damaging the economy and pushing us into at the least, a five year depression.
“The goal should have been to get people back to work, publicise the spacing and insist on face masks.
“More people would have copped the virus but in the vast majority of cases, as the evidence abroad shows, been back on deck in a week.”
Need for Legislation
While the lockdown was legal, Sir Robert notes the recent failure of the application for a write of habeas corpus but saying legislation should prevent the wholesale lockdowns such as we have experienced occurring again.
“We must never again allow a situation where the law allows a young woman with much charm and little real world experience, to legally take such dictatorial powers.
“The current legislation needs to be reconsidered in Parliament. While it’s conceivable situations could arise in the future requiring such a heavy-handed approach, the supporting legislation should require say a 75% Parliamentary vote.
“Had that existed there would have been sufficient pragmatists in the Opposition plus NZ First that would have prevented the disaster we have lying ahead.”
Read More on LawFuel
- How Many Lawyers Are There In The United States?. . or is the law a dying profession? It may surprise some […] More
- Sharon Osborne Hire’s Hollywood Heavyweight Lawyer Jeremiah Reynolds Following ‘The Talk’ RowSharon Osborne has hired a top gun Hollywood lawyer to represent her after […] More
- Chapman Tripp Named 2021 Chambers Asia Pacific NZ Law Firm of the YearChapman Tripp has been recognised at the 2021 Chambers Asia Pacific Awards as […] More
- Lawyer’s Conduct Amounted to Sexual Harassment, Law Society Committee SaysA Standards Committee has found there was unsatisfactory conduct by a lawyer, L, […] More
- Wakefields Adds New Lawyers to TeamAmy Webster (Senior Associate) joined the Wakefields Lawyers Team in 2019, specialising in […] More
- The $2000-Plus An Hourly Charge Out Rate For Former US Attorney General Eric Holder Reflects Growing Billing RatesHourly charge out rates for lawyers have continued to rise rapidly, but for […] More