Sir Robert Jones’ latest blog post castigates the Prime Minister for the needless lockdown with “depression, suicides, family violence and despair” lying ahead.
“For by the time the virus reached our shores we knew from the evidence elsewhere who it killed and why. Instead, the government acted as if it could kill us all, in the process damaging the economy and pushing us into at the least, a five year depression.
“The goal should have been to get people back to work, publicise the spacing and insist on face masks.
“More people would have copped the virus but in the vast majority of cases, as the evidence abroad shows, been back on deck in a week.”
Need for Legislation
While the lockdown was legal, Sir Robert notes the recent failure of the application for a write of habeas corpus but saying legislation should prevent the wholesale lockdowns such as we have experienced occurring again.
“We must never again allow a situation where the law allows a young woman with much charm and little real world experience, to legally take such dictatorial powers.
“The current legislation needs to be reconsidered in Parliament. While it’s conceivable situations could arise in the future requiring such a heavy-handed approach, the supporting legislation should require say a 75% Parliamentary vote.
“Had that existed there would have been sufficient pragmatists in the Opposition plus NZ First that would have prevented the disaster we have lying ahead.”
Read More on LawFuel
- Norton Rose Fulbright Appoint Tech Lawyer to Head San Franciso OfficeNorton Rose Fulbright
- How are Leading New Zealand Law firms performing online?New Zealand law firm digital marketing report showing digital footprint for New Zealand law firms
- The New Zealand Law Power List – The Young New Entrant ‘Super Lawyer’Among the new entrants in the LawFuel Power List of the 40 most …
- The Powerful Maiden Speech From Young Maori LawyerJames Meager, the new National MP and former Simpson Grierson lawyer, made an …
- Costs Order For Over $1 Million Against Leaky Home Law FirmAuckland litigation boutique Grimshaw & Co has been ordered to pay costs of …
- General Counsel Report Shows Declining Risk Preparedness Across Global Corporate Legal DepartmentsGeneral Counsel shows declining risk preparedness