UK lawyers have come out swinging about Boris Johnson’s comments to the virtual Conservative Party conference where he said “lefty human rights lawyers” who he claimed were hampering the criminal justice system
Responding to the prime minister’s address to the party’s virtual conference on Tuesday, lawyers condemned his comments as going even further than those made by the home secretary, Priti Patel who hit out at “lefty lawyers” and “do gooders” who were “defending the broken system.”
A criminal barrister, Joanna Hardy, hit back at the PM with a series of tweets that have been garnering growing support,
Hardy noted that the system may have been ‘hamstrung’, but it wasn’t the fault of the lawyers.
Criticism from senior lawyers was also quick to emerge.
Bar Council chair Amanda Pinto QC, criticized the comments and the under-funding of the criminal justice system, saying: “It is shocking and troubling that our own Prime Minister condones and extends attempts to politicise and attack lawyers for simply doing their job in the public interest. Lawyers — including those employed by the government itself — are absolutely vital to the running of our grossly under-funded criminal justice system. Their professional duty is to their client and to the court, and not to play political games.”
On Tuesday night, Lady Hale, the former president of the supreme court, added to legal criticism of the government by telling a seminar that the internal market bill, which provides for breaching international law, could damage Britain’s standing in the world.
- How Many Lawyers Are There In The United States?. . or is the law a dying profession? It may surprise some to know that the United States attorney population […] More
- Sharon Osborne Hire’s Hollywood Heavyweight Lawyer Jeremiah Reynolds Following ‘The Talk’ RowSharon Osborne has hired a top gun Hollywood lawyer to represent her after her falling out over The Talk show when […] More
- Chapman Tripp Named 2021 Chambers Asia Pacific NZ Law Firm of the YearChapman Tripp has been recognised at the 2021 Chambers Asia Pacific Awards as New Zealand Law Firm of the Year. The […] More
- Lawyer’s Conduct Amounted to Sexual Harassment, Law Society Committee SaysA Standards Committee has found there was unsatisfactory conduct by a lawyer, L, for conduct amounting to sexual harassment. The finding […] More
- Wakefields Adds New Lawyers to TeamAmy Webster (Senior Associate) joined the Wakefields Lawyers Team in 2019, specialising in employment law, commercial law, and general dispute resolution. […] More
- The $2000-Plus An Hourly Charge Out Rate For Former US Attorney General Eric Holder Reflects Growing Billing RatesHourly charge out rates for lawyers have continued to rise rapidly, but for former US Attorney General, now a partner at […] More
- Chapman Tripp – FMA Releases Guidance for fund managers to ensure their fees are reasonableChapman Tripp – Although the statutory obligation not to charge an unreasonable fee is specific to KiwiSaver schemes, the Guidance is […] More