Boston, MA, Mar. 19, 2020– Burns & Levinson announced today that veteran patent attorney Christopher Carroll has joined the firm as a partner in its Intellectual Property Group. Carroll was previously a partner at White & Case, and brings 17 years of experience advising clients on their patent, trademark and copyright strategies to the firm. He is licensed to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, the European Patent Office and the UK High Court. Carroll will be based in Boston, but Burns & Levinson will open an office in London to accommodate his significant European practice.
An electrical and computer engineer by training, Carroll’s clients have included mechanical, electrical, software, and communications engineering companies such as an Oakland, CA-based marine technology company; UK and Spanish-based MEMS technology company; a Sweden-based satellite communications company; and a utilities-focused infrastructure company working in the U.S. and Canada.
“We are excited to add Chris and his extraordinary talents to our world-class IP team,” said David P. Rosenblatt, managing partner at Burns & Levinson. “Our IP group has been expanding rapidly over the past several years and we are always looking for outstanding lateral hires to help us meet increasing client demand for our services.”
In addition to developing patent portfolios for clients around the world, Carroll regularly prepares legal opinions regarding patent validity, infringement and freedom-to-operate and IP due diligence. He is knowledgeable in technology-related license agreements, and has extensive expertise handling Opposition and Appeal proceedings at the European Patent Office.
“Chris is a highly-regarded attorney with deep expertise in patenting complex technologies,” said Joseph Maraia, co-chair of the firm’s Intellectual Property practice. “We have one of the strongest electrical engineering IP practices in Boston, and adding his electrical and computer engineering skills and his international abilities to our team will be particularly valuable for our clients. We are thrilled to welcome him to our firm, and look forward to providing European IP services from our new London office.”
Before law school, Carroll supervised research related to wireless communications network security at Verizon and GTE Laboratories. He also developed a Mobile IP cryptographic key distribution procedure used by Verizon Wireless in its 3G data service. He is an inventor of eight U.S. patents related to wireless security.
Carroll received his J.D. from Suffolk University Law School in 2003. He earned an M.S. in computer engineering in 1998 and a B.S. in electrical engineering in 1994 from the University of Massachusetts at Lowell.
About Burns & Levinson LLP
At Burns & Levinson, we provide high-level, client-centric and results-oriented legal services to our regional, national and international clients. We are a full-service law firm with over 125 lawyers in Boston, Providence and other regional offices. Our areas of expertise include: business/finance, business litigation, divorce/family law, venture capital/emerging companies, employment, estate planning, government investigations, intellectual property, M&A/private equity, probate/trust litigation, and real estate. We partner with our clients to solve their business and personal legal issues in a collaborative, creative and cost-effective way. For more information, visit Burns & Levinson at www.burnslev.com.
Recent Law News
- Trump’s Historic Repudiation – Despite No ConvictionFrom Bloomberg.com – Seven Republicans joined every Senate Democrat to convict Donald Trump […] More
- Gibson Dunn Launches Environmental, Social & Governance PracticePowered by LawFuel – Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP is pleased to announce […] More
- Is David Boies Looking At Stemming The Tide of Departures?The departures from leading legal boutique Boies Schiller Flexner have been significant, after […] More
- Insurance Partner Joins Sidley Austin NY Office From Skadden ArpsNew York – Sidley Austin LLP is pleased to announce that Michael Homison will […] More
- Fraud Inquiry Increases Pressure on Donald Trump and His CompanyDonald Trump’s Company – and Donald Trump personally – has been delivered yet […] More
- Waco Lord of the Rings References In Weird Hobbit BriefInsurrectionist and lawyer Paul Davis is also, it would appear, a Lord of […] More
- Morgan Lewis: Biden Administration Issues Order on Gender Identity and Sexual OrientationAs one of his first actions in office, President Joe Biden has issued […] More
- What Is Facebook Doing About Donald Trump’s Suspended Facebook and Instagram Accounts – And Should We Even Care?The suspension of Donald Trump’s social media accounts on Facebook and Instagram (let […] More
- Parlous Start to Parler Antitrust Lawsuit Against AmazonThe far-right Parler social media platform is facing a tough road in its […] More
- “Walking Dead” Lawyer Sues Former Law Firm For Unpaid Fees in LA LawsuitIt’s not ‘Walking Dead’ or ‘Bones’ that is akin to this case but […] More
- Perkins Coie Cannabis Law Addition – Director of Public Policy for National Cannabis Industry Association Joins FirmDENVER (January 12, 2021) – Perkins Coie is pleased to announce that Andrew J. Kline […] More