Boston, MA, Mar. 19, 2020– Burns & Levinson announced today that veteran patent attorney Christopher Carroll has joined the firm as a partner in its Intellectual Property Group. Carroll was previously a partner at White & Case, and brings 17 years of experience advising clients on their patent, trademark and copyright strategies to the firm. He is licensed to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, the European Patent Office and the UK High Court. Carroll will be based in Boston, but Burns & Levinson will open an office in London to accommodate his significant European practice.
An electrical and computer engineer by training, Carroll’s clients have included mechanical, electrical, software, and communications engineering companies such as an Oakland, CA-based marine technology company; UK and Spanish-based MEMS technology company; a Sweden-based satellite communications company; and a utilities-focused infrastructure company working in the U.S. and Canada.
“We are excited to add Chris and his extraordinary talents to our world-class IP team,” said David P. Rosenblatt, managing partner at Burns & Levinson. “Our IP group has been expanding rapidly over the past several years and we are always looking for outstanding lateral hires to help us meet increasing client demand for our services.”
In addition to developing patent portfolios for clients around the world, Carroll regularly prepares legal opinions regarding patent validity, infringement and freedom-to-operate and IP due diligence. He is knowledgeable in technology-related license agreements, and has extensive expertise handling Opposition and Appeal proceedings at the European Patent Office.
“Chris is a highly-regarded attorney with deep expertise in patenting complex technologies,” said Joseph Maraia, co-chair of the firm’s Intellectual Property practice. “We have one of the strongest electrical engineering IP practices in Boston, and adding his electrical and computer engineering skills and his international abilities to our team will be particularly valuable for our clients. We are thrilled to welcome him to our firm, and look forward to providing European IP services from our new London office.”
Before law school, Carroll supervised research related to wireless communications network security at Verizon and GTE Laboratories. He also developed a Mobile IP cryptographic key distribution procedure used by Verizon Wireless in its 3G data service. He is an inventor of eight U.S. patents related to wireless security.
Carroll received his J.D. from Suffolk University Law School in 2003. He earned an M.S. in computer engineering in 1998 and a B.S. in electrical engineering in 1994 from the University of Massachusetts at Lowell.
About Burns & Levinson LLP
At Burns & Levinson, we provide high-level, client-centric and results-oriented legal services to our regional, national and international clients. We are a full-service law firm with over 125 lawyers in Boston, Providence and other regional offices. Our areas of expertise include: business/finance, business litigation, divorce/family law, venture capital/emerging companies, employment, estate planning, government investigations, intellectual property, M&A/private equity, probate/trust litigation, and real estate. We partner with our clients to solve their business and personal legal issues in a collaborative, creative and cost-effective way. For more information, visit Burns & Levinson at www.burnslev.com.
Recent Law News
- Leading Cartel Defense & Antitrust Lawyer Joins Davis Polk From Gibson Dunn & CrutcherPowered by LawFuel – Washington DC, August 5, 2020 – Davis Polk today announced […]
- Death of Legal Star – ‘Star Wars’ Lawyer – Saddens HollywoodLeading entertainment lawyer Tom Pollock, who counted Star Wars creator George Lucas among […]
- Google This: Law Firm Accused of ‘Skulduggery’ And Breach of Duty in Nasty Divorce Fight With Google’s ‘Third Man’Its a case of a nasty divorce that just got nastier disaffected litigant […]
- Exodus From Irell & Manella’s Deal-Makers Continues – 2 More Leave to Join Reed SmithThe exodus of transactional lawyers from Irell & Manella continues with two corporate […]
- Michael Avenatti – Former Stormy Daniels Attorney Cruelly Labelled ‘Creepy Porn Lawyer’ – is “Flat Out Broke”Michael Avenatti is apparently destitute. In an effort to secure counsel reserved for […]
- 10 Of The Craziest Laws In The USKatrina Hatchett* – Now, you may not know it, but the United States […]
- The Law Firm Hired by Rudy Giuliani is in Financial StraitsDan Garner – Lawfuel.com was the first legal publication to raise concerns about […]
- Phillips Nizer Adds Five Attorneys in Patent Litigation, Matrimonial Law, Commercial LitigationNew York, NY (July 6, 2020) Powered by LawFuel –Phillips Nizer LLP has added […]
- How The Disintegrating Law Firm Hired By Rudy Giuliani Has Spawned Its YoungDan Garner – Breaking up, as law firm Pierce Bainbridge Beck Price & […]
- Venables San Francisco Office Adds Team of Complex Commercial LitigatorsPowered by LawFuel – San Francisco, CA(June XX, 2020) – Venable LLP is pleased […]
- Is The Berman Ouster in New York A Further Reflection of Trump Political Interference? Maybe Not With This Lawyer . .The debacle surrounding the firing of US attorney for New York’s Southern District […]