Boston, MA, Mar. 19, 2020– Burns & Levinson announced today that veteran patent attorney Christopher Carroll has joined the firm as a partner in its Intellectual Property Group. Carroll was previously a partner at White & Case, and brings 17 years of experience advising clients on their patent, trademark and copyright strategies to the firm. He is licensed to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, the European Patent Office and the UK High Court. Carroll will be based in Boston, but Burns & Levinson will open an office in London to accommodate his significant European practice.
An electrical and computer engineer by training, Carroll’s clients have included mechanical, electrical, software, and communications engineering companies such as an Oakland, CA-based marine technology company; UK and Spanish-based MEMS technology company; a Sweden-based satellite communications company; and a utilities-focused infrastructure company working in the U.S. and Canada.
“We are excited to add Chris and his extraordinary talents to our world-class IP team,” said David P. Rosenblatt, managing partner at Burns & Levinson. “Our IP group has been expanding rapidly over the past several years and we are always looking for outstanding lateral hires to help us meet increasing client demand for our services.”
In addition to developing patent portfolios for clients around the world, Carroll regularly prepares legal opinions regarding patent validity, infringement and freedom-to-operate and IP due diligence. He is knowledgeable in technology-related license agreements, and has extensive expertise handling Opposition and Appeal proceedings at the European Patent Office.
“Chris is a highly-regarded attorney with deep expertise in patenting complex technologies,” said Joseph Maraia, co-chair of the firm’s Intellectual Property practice. “We have one of the strongest electrical engineering IP practices in Boston, and adding his electrical and computer engineering skills and his international abilities to our team will be particularly valuable for our clients. We are thrilled to welcome him to our firm, and look forward to providing European IP services from our new London office.”
Before law school, Carroll supervised research related to wireless communications network security at Verizon and GTE Laboratories. He also developed a Mobile IP cryptographic key distribution procedure used by Verizon Wireless in its 3G data service. He is an inventor of eight U.S. patents related to wireless security.
Carroll received his J.D. from Suffolk University Law School in 2003. He earned an M.S. in computer engineering in 1998 and a B.S. in electrical engineering in 1994 from the University of Massachusetts at Lowell.
About Burns & Levinson LLP
At Burns & Levinson, we provide high-level, client-centric and results-oriented legal services to our regional, national and international clients. We are a full-service law firm with over 125 lawyers in Boston, Providence and other regional offices. Our areas of expertise include: business/finance, business litigation, divorce/family law, venture capital/emerging companies, employment, estate planning, government investigations, intellectual property, M&A/private equity, probate/trust litigation, and real estate. We partner with our clients to solve their business and personal legal issues in a collaborative, creative and cost-effective way. For more information, visit Burns & Levinson at www.burnslev.com.
Recent Law News
- Law Firm Joins Black Lives Matter Lawsuit Against Trump Over Floyd ProtestsBlack Lives Matter has obtained the assistance of law firm Arnold Porter Kaye […]
- Littler Launches Holistic Workforce Restructuring Solution67 / 100 Powered by Rank Math SEO SEO Score (May 28, 2020) […]
- Perkins Coie Continues Texas Growth With Addition of Jill Louis in DallasDALLAS (May 29, 2020) – Powered by LawFuel – Perkins Coie is pleased to […]
- Archie Williams – The Innocence Project YouTube Star & The Lawyers Who Saw Him FreeReality TV show ‘Americ’a Got Talent’ is as used to pulling heartstrings as […]
- ‘Scarface’ Oligarch Chronicles – Billionaire Sergey GrishinLA Correspondent – Dostoevsky’s classic Russian novel, Crime and Punishment, regarded as one […]
- Does the COVID Crisis Show The Human Side of Law Firms And Help Women Lawyers To Remain in Big Law . . Or Not?A recent article on the Australian Financial Review reported on King & Wood […]
- The Ongoing Issues Relating To Pierce Bainbridge And The Litigation Funding DramaJust yesterday, LawFuel reported on the “The $1 Billion Case & The […]
- Big Law Firm Implements ‘Voluntary Leave’ ProgramThe coronavirus has spooked most law firms and the pending merger between Troutman […]
- The $1 Billion Case & The Unfolding Litigation Funding & Legal DramaThe firm of Pierce Bainbridge Beck Price & Hecht has been at the […]
- BREAKING NEWS: With a $65 Million Debt, Could Pierce Bainbridge Have Secured More Funding?Dan Garner* The epic debacle of Pierce Bainbridge has been covered in detail […]
- Hacked Law Firm Sees Lady Gaga, Madonna Data Stolen Via Cyberattack14 / 100 Powered by Rank Math SEO SEO Score A major entertainment […]