Powered by LawFuel – 17 September 2020 – Global law firm DLA Piper has advised media giant Discovery Inc. on its agreement to purchase MediaWorks’ TV business, comprising of: free-to-air channels, Three, Bravo, Three+1, Bravo+1, The Edge TV and The Breeze TV; streaming service ThreeNow; and multi-platform news and current affairs service Newshub.
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment and is known in New Zealand for its pay TV channels Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, Food Network, Living and Discovery Turbo and free-to-air channels HGTV and Choice TV.
DLA Piper’s team was led by Auckland-based corporate partner Reuben Woods and senior associate Sam Wilson. IPT partner Nick Valentine advised on the media and transitional services aspects of the deal and competition partner Alicia Murray gave regulatory advice.
Reuben Woods said, “Discovery is a long-standing and significant client of the global firm and we are delighted to have assisted Discovery on what will be its most significant free-to-air investment in the New Zealand market to date following completion”.
The transaction is expected to be completed by the end of the year.
- Another Law Firm for Kim DotcomInternet entrerpreneur Kim Dotcom’s ongoing battle to avoid extradition to the United States has seen a number of lawyers appearing for him […] More
- If 2020 Was Tough for Kiwi Lawyers – It May Have Been Even More Tough for The NZ Law SocietyLaw Society Posts a $3 Million Loss after a ‘challenging year’ The Law Society has posted a $3 million loss last year […] More
- The 15-Hour Workdays And Ongoing Issue of Lawyer BurnoutLawyer burnout is a major problem for law firms globally, but it’s not an inevitability More
- ‘You’re The Reason God Gave Us a Middle Finger’ – Abusive Emails Achieve Suspension For LawyerLaw Society Tribunal suspends lawyer for misconduct over abusive emails sent to litigant From the NZ Law Society – John Paul Schlooz […] More
- Buddle Findlay’s #MeToo Moment – Concern Over Claim of Big Law Partner’s Inappropriate ConductDespite the furore over the Russell McVeagh conduct that is now – some three years later – wending its way through a […] More
- Duncan Cotterill Expands to Queenstown & Secures Major Property ClientDuncan Cotterill has opened a Queenstown office with the acquisition of Mackersy Legal, from the beginning of April. Mackersy Legal specialises in […] More
Other Law Firm Press Releases
- Clifford Chance Appoint Most Women Ever In Latest PromotionsSee Law Jobs on the LawFuel Network Here Clifford Chance has promoted 29 […] More
- Gender Equality in Law – London Law Firms Take 9 of 50 Top Spots For The Times’ Top 50 Employers of Women ListThe Times list compiled by Business in the Community (BITC) includes employers from […] More
- Former White House Adviser Arrested For Stealing From Charter Schools Program He FoundedAudrey Strauss, the United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York, […] More
- Power Lawyers – Yvette Ostolaza Named Chair-Elect of Sidley’s Management CommitteeDallas litigator Ostolaza is to take over as the chairwoman of the 2,000-lawyer […] More
- Hedge Fund Co-Founder Arrested Over Alleged $40 Million FraudAudrey Strauss, the United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York, […] More