Powered by LawFuel – 17 September 2020 – Global law firm DLA Piper has advised media giant Discovery Inc. on its agreement to purchase MediaWorks’ TV business, comprising of: free-to-air channels, Three, Bravo, Three+1, Bravo+1, The Edge TV and The Breeze TV; streaming service ThreeNow; and multi-platform news and current affairs service Newshub.
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment and is known in New Zealand for its pay TV channels Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, Food Network, Living and Discovery Turbo and free-to-air channels HGTV and Choice TV.
DLA Piper’s team was led by Auckland-based corporate partner Reuben Woods and senior associate Sam Wilson. IPT partner Nick Valentine advised on the media and transitional services aspects of the deal and competition partner Alicia Murray gave regulatory advice.
Reuben Woods said, “Discovery is a long-standing and significant client of the global firm and we are delighted to have assisted Discovery on what will be its most significant free-to-air investment in the New Zealand market to date following completion”.
The transaction is expected to be completed by the end of the year.
- Nick Williams Joins Britomart ChambersNick Williams has joined Britomart Chambers as a barrister sole. Formerly a litigation partner at Meredith Connell, he specialises in regulatory and […]
- Cathy Quinn Appointed to Fonterra BoardMinterEllisonRuddWatts consultant, Cathy Quinn ONZM, has been appointed to the board of Fonterra. Prior to retiring from the Partnership. She served as […]
- Chris Finlayson QC To Receive Honorary Doctorate in Law After Fighting for Maori RightsFormer Attorney General Chris Finlayson QC is to receive an honorary doctorate of Law from Victoria University at the December graduation week. […]
- The Power-Lifting, In-House Lawyer Who Dismisses a Harvey Specter Comparison & Rises To CEOIt was not difficult for in-house lawyer Patrick Gamble to shrug off a comparison made by a magazine article that the up-and-coming […]
- Patrick Gamble Named CEO of Perpetual Guardian GroupPatrick Gamble has been named CEO of the Perpetual Guardian Group, a collection of companies delivering market-leading fiduciary and investment services across […]
- Former Liquidator Geoffrey Smith Gets Four Year Prison Term for FraudA former Auckland liquidator has been sentenced to four years’ imprisonment on charges brought by the Serious Fraud Office. Geoffrey Martin Smith […]
Other Law Firm Press Releases
- 5 Partnership Announcements From Gilbert + TobinGilbert + Tobin is set to consolidate its strong performance throughout 2020 appointing […]
- Slaughter & May Hire Disputes Partner in Copenhagen For Growing Disputes & Investigations GroupSlaughter and May today announces a new partner appointment in London. Gayathri Kamalanathan, […]
- LA Paralegal Pleads Guilty To Embezzling Money From Immigration Law Firm ClientsLOS ANGELES – A Los Angeles County paralegal pleaded guilty today to defrauding more […]
- Freshfields team files amicus brief in Trump v. New York, supporting inclusion of all people in congressional apportionmentA Freshfields team comprising partner Aaron Marcu, special counsel Scott Eisman, and associates […]
- Perkins Coie Continues Labor & Employment Practice Growth in LALOS ANGELES (November 17, 2020) – Perkins Coie is pleased to announce that […]
Get LawFuel Power News Weekly
Subscribe to get our top news weekly