The value of top-end lawyers has been demonstrated again with the recent hire by Skaddens of former Freshfields’ M&A star
The lawyer, Bruce Embley, was hired for a reported $5 million according to reports from American Lawyer, who have reported what insiders have told the law news service.
Embley has spent most of his career with Freshfields, but the move by Skadden, bolstered by a sharp drop in the pound, sees the firm move more aggressively into the European deals market, as well as boosting its cross-border transaction work.
Bruce Embley was most recently co-head of its mergers and acquisitions practice, having worked on transactions including Anheuser-Busch InBev’s $103bn takeover of SABMiller in 2016.
A man who takes his professional and personal life seriously he was a fitness club member of the month three years ago, explaining that boxing was his favourite exercise.
Financial Times report that other clients include private equity groups TPG and Permira as well as the Qatar Investment Authority.
The high-profile hire comes just a year after Skadden poached George Knighton and Simon Toms from Allen & Overy. For Freshfields, Embley’s departure marks another high-level exit of a senior deals lawyer. US law firm Kirkland & Ellis hired two of its senior private equity lawyers, David Higgins and Adrian Maguire, in recent years, while Latham & Watkins recruited another senior deals lawyer, Sam Newhouse, earlier this year.
- Lawyer Income And How Google’s Top Lawyer Made Over $50 Million Last YearTop lawyer income figures rank highly, but for Google’s top lawyer the $50 million-plus earnings represent the sort of income movie and […] More
- Am Law 100 And The $4.8 Billion Top Listing Law Firm For Gross RevenueBut the top earning partners were at Wachtell Lipton at $7.5 million in profits per equity partner Greedy for top ranking maybe, […] More
- How Many Lawyers Are There In The United States?. . or is the law a dying profession? It may surprise some to know that the United States attorney population has […] More
- Former MinterEllison M&A Partner Joins Squire Patton BoggsPowered by LawFuel – The momentum continues to build at Squire Patton Boggs, with the arrival of Sydney Corporate/M&A partner Michael Gajic. […] More
- 5 ‘Lawyer Burnout’ Symptoms and How To Avoid Them For The Good Of Your HealthLawFuel Editors – Lawyer ‘burnout’ is an increasing phenomenon unfortunately and the stressful nature of legal work, its competition and the excessive […] More
- Law Firm Mergers Set To Rise After The 2020 Pandemic DropLaw firm mergers are set to dramatically increase in 2021 after the pandemic, with some predictions indicating a four-fold increase in mergers […] More
- The New Dating App For Lonely Lawyers – The Legal Profession’s Dating App Designed To Minimize Time and Maximize Dating SuccessLawyers looking for love can be a brief too far for many overworked, stressed legal professionals, but a London legal entrepreneur has […] More