The value of top-end lawyers has been demonstrated again with the recent hire by Skaddens of former Freshfields’ M&A star
The lawyer, Bruce Embley, was hired for a reported $5 million according to reports from American Lawyer, who have reported what insiders have told the law news service.
Embley has spent most of his career with Freshfields, but the move by Skadden, bolstered by a sharp drop in the pound, sees the firm move more aggressively into the European deals market, as well as boosting its cross-border transaction work.
Bruce Embley was most recently co-head of its mergers and acquisitions practice, having worked on transactions including Anheuser-Busch InBev’s $103bn takeover of SABMiller in 2016.
A man who takes his professional and personal life seriously he was a fitness club member of the month three years ago, explaining that boxing was his favourite exercise.
Financial Times report that other clients include private equity groups TPG and Permira as well as the Qatar Investment Authority.
The high-profile hire comes just a year after Skadden poached George Knighton and Simon Toms from Allen & Overy. For Freshfields, Embley’s departure marks another high-level exit of a senior deals lawyer. US law firm Kirkland & Ellis hired two of its senior private equity lawyers, David Higgins and Adrian Maguire, in recent years, while Latham & Watkins recruited another senior deals lawyer, Sam Newhouse, earlier this year.
- Fox-Batting Barrister Blacklisted, He SaysLondon Barrister Jolyon Maugham hit the social media headlines for killing a fox with a baseball bat over a year ago. At […] More
- The Lawyer And The Zoom Cat Filter Mishap – “I’m not a cat”, he saysZoom has been the big boom for the pandemic, but a recent Zoom filter mishap with a US lawyer has seen what […] More
- Donald Trump’s New ‘Power Lawyer’ You May Not Have Heard Of . . But For Bill CosbyTaking on work for Donald Trump for his record, second impeachment trial is not necessarily the sort of brief many lawyers would […] More
- Waco Lord of the Rings References In Weird Hobbit BriefInsurrectionist and lawyer Paul Davis is also, it would appear, a Lord of the Rings fan. So much so, in fact, that […] More
- Florida Lawyer In Jailhouse Sex Filming Loses LicenceA Florida lawyer who filmed himself soliciting sex from three inmates, one being a porn actress in jail, has had his law […] More
- Another Law Firm Dumps The Trump Legal WorkLaw firm Morgan Lewis & Bockius previously handled tax law representation for former president Donald Trump and his company have said they […] More
- Facebook for Lawyers – Is A Facebook Group A Good Idea For A Law Firm (And If So, How Do You Create One Easily?)Facebook groups are potentially a hugely effective way to attract attention to your law firm – provided you set it up the […] More