Wairarapa barrister Jock Blathwayt’s 50 years of service to the law was recogised with a special sitting of the Masterton District Court last week, with Judges, prosecutors, defence lawyers and clients in attendance.
Jock Blathwayt has been a Rumpolean figure in Wairarapa and Wellington law for more time than most even long-practising lawyers can remember.
For Privacy Lawyers – Free White Paper on GDPR Decision
But poor health has forced the 80 year old barrister into retirement with an appropriately legal sendoff.
Stuff.co.nz reported that District court Judge Barbara Morris, who often presided over Masterton court, said the Wairarapa legal fraternity would have a “hole in its heart” without the ever-steadying presence of Blathwayt.
Judge Jenny Binns likened Blathwayt to the curmudgeonly television barrister Rumpole of the Bailey.
Blathwayt said he was overwhelmed by the special sitting but, as he done throughout his career, he did not lose the opportunity to petition the bench to consider matters requiring attention, including the consultation of the criminal bar when changed to the judicial system were proposed and also that methamphetamine abuse should be regarded as a health, rather than criminal issue.
Jock Blathwayt practised law with his late brother, Gerald Blathwayt, who had also been a prominent rugby player.
He featured in numerous prominent criminal cases, including the Lou Tawhai murder that had featured satanic rituals among other matters.
More Local law News
- Wellington Lawyer in Coronavirus LockdownWellington barrister JD Dallas, a frequent China traveller, is in lockdown at his mother-in-law's apartment, relying on colleagues to handle … Read more
- The LawFuel Power Twitter List: New Zealand’s 20 Most Influencial Law Twitter AccountsWho are New Zealand' 20 most influencial and powerful lawyers on Twitter?
- Bob Jones And the Silks: The Intriguing Cases of the Flat Earth Memorials and The Moldovian Poet AffairJohn Bowie – Fresh from his recent defamation trial over his 'breakfast in bed' NBR column, LawFuel occasional contributor Sir … Read more
- Law Society Birthday Bash Sees Alleged #Metoo Offender in AttendanceA birthday bash for the Wellington branch of the Law Society has reportedly resulted in a number of upset and … Read more
- Former Herbert Smith Litigator in London Rejoins Russell McVeaghAcclaimed former Herbert Smith litigator joins Russell McVeagh