While the Johnny Depp libel trial has wrapped up in the UK, at the heart of the trial is Lower Hutt-born tabloid editor Dan Wootton, who is executive editor of The Sun newspaper and host of talkRADIO’s drivetime show but who also at the centre of the claim by Depp for the 2018 article which referred to Depp as a “wife-beater”.
The article at the heart of Johnny Depp’s libel claim was written by Wootton for his weekly column in the newspaper.
Depp sued the tabloid’s publisher, News Group Newspapers (NGN) and its Dan Wootton over the article which alleged he was violent towards his ex-wife, Amber Heard, 34, and labelled him a “wife beater”.
Barrister David Sherborne, who recently represented Meghan Markle and Prince Harry in their unsuccessful claim representing Depp, 57, had told the court the action has been brought because the newspaper and Wootton “chose to publish this extremely serious allegation” which Mr Depp has always maintained is “completely untrue”.
Wootton also presents the weekday Drivetime show on talkRadio and has his own podcast – The Dan Wootton Interview.
A showbiz reporter for many years, before joining The Sun, Wootton had stints at a number of newspapers and magazines, including the Daily Mail, where he also worked as a columnist, and the now defunct News Of The World, where he was Showbiz Editor.
Dan Wootton on the Sussexes
Read More On LawFuel Here
- The Retiring Lawyer – Is There An Age Discrimination Issue Here?An Australian case involving one of the Big Four accounting firms has raised the […]
- New Zealand pathology business to be acquired by NZ Super and Ontario Teachers’ Pension PlanHealthscope has agreed to the sale of its New Zealand pathology business, Asia Pacific […]
- Chapman Tripp is not only moving offices to the swanky new Commercial Bay development […]
- SFO welcomes court decision enforcing its secrecy requirementsThe Serious Fraud Office has welcomed a court decision confirming the confidentiality of material […]
- Court of Appeal Hear Grace Millane Murder Accused’s Trial MiscarriedThe man found guilty of the murder of Grace Millane is having his appeal […]
- In a surprise move, well known corporate lawyer and name partner at his own […]
- Maurice Blackburn Lawyers has rolled out an artificial intelligence-infused solution that cuts the time […]
- Law Firms Moving to Auckland’s Latest Hot SiteThe Commercial Bay development has attracted some of the major law firms to its […]