While the Johnny Depp libel trial has wrapped up in the UK, at the heart of the trial is Lower Hutt-born tabloid editor Dan Wootton, who is executive editor of The Sun newspaper and host of talkRADIO’s drivetime show but who also at the centre of the claim by Depp for the 2018 article which referred to Depp as a “wife-beater”.
The article at the heart of Johnny Depp’s libel claim was written by Wootton for his weekly column in the newspaper.
Depp sued the tabloid’s publisher, News Group Newspapers (NGN) and its Dan Wootton over the article which alleged he was violent towards his ex-wife, Amber Heard, 34, and labelled him a “wife beater”.
Barrister David Sherborne, who recently represented Meghan Markle and Prince Harry in their unsuccessful claim representing Depp, 57, had told the court the action has been brought because the newspaper and Wootton “chose to publish this extremely serious allegation” which Mr Depp has always maintained is “completely untrue”.
Wootton also presents the weekday Drivetime show on talkRadio and has his own podcast – The Dan Wootton Interview.
A showbiz reporter for many years, before joining The Sun, Wootton had stints at a number of newspapers and magazines, including the Daily Mail, where he also worked as a columnist, and the now defunct News Of The World, where he was Showbiz Editor.
Dan Wootton on the Sussexes
Read More On LawFuel Here
- JunoLegal Grows With Another NZ In-House Counsel HireNew Law firm Juno Legal has recruited another senior New Zealand In-house Counsel with […] More
- What’s Happening At Meredith Connell With Its Litigator Departures?Why are litigators departing from Meredith Connell? More
- Supreme Court Remits Kim Dotcom & Associates’ Case To Court of AppealThe US Government and Kim Dotcom Agree On One Thing At Least . . […] More
- How Much Has The Dotcom Case Cost The New Zealand Taxpayer? Take A GuessHow does $7 Million Sound? It’s taken nine years of battling, but the cost […] More
- Law Firm Branding: Buddle Findlay ‘Refresh’ Their Brand – But Does It Cut The Mustard?Christine Hansen – “Refreshing” a law firm brand is always a fraught task, but […] More
- New Chair At Bell GullyBell Gully has announced a new chair to replace Anna Buchly after three years […] More
- Is Jacinda Ardern’s ‘Hate Speech’ Law Entrenching Racism Rather Than Eliminating It?A recent Spectator column identified what Karl du Fresne says was “inflammatory rhetoric from […] More
- Collaboration of Barristers Helps Self-Litigants With New BookA collaboration between two barristers – one as author the other as publisher – […] More