While the Johnny Depp libel trial has wrapped up in the UK, at the heart of the trial is Lower Hutt-born tabloid editor Dan Wootton, who is executive editor of The Sun newspaper and host of talkRADIO’s drivetime show but who also at the centre of the claim by Depp for the 2018 article which referred to Depp as a “wife-beater”.
The article at the heart of Johnny Depp’s libel claim was written by Wootton for his weekly column in the newspaper.
Depp sued the tabloid’s publisher, News Group Newspapers (NGN) and its Dan Wootton over the article which alleged he was violent towards his ex-wife, Amber Heard, 34, and labelled him a “wife beater”.
Barrister David Sherborne, who recently represented Meghan Markle and Prince Harry in their unsuccessful claim representing Depp, 57, had told the court the action has been brought because the newspaper and Wootton “chose to publish this extremely serious allegation” which Mr Depp has always maintained is “completely untrue”.
Wootton also presents the weekday Drivetime show on talkRadio and has his own podcast – The Dan Wootton Interview.
A showbiz reporter for many years, before joining The Sun, Wootton had stints at a number of newspapers and magazines, including the Daily Mail, where he also worked as a columnist, and the now defunct News Of The World, where he was Showbiz Editor.
Dan Wootton on the Sussexes
Read More On LawFuel Here
- Chapman Tripp on Most Innovative Law Firm ListDescribed as the ‘one to watch’ in New Zealand’s legaltech industry, Chapman Tripp with […] More
- Litigation PR: an important tool in the litigation toolboxLitigation PR is increasingly popular overseas . . and catching on in New Zealand, […] More
- How Kate Sheppard Inspired This Barrister To Set Up A New Chambers ModelA virtual chambers model is designed to encourage more women into chambers – earlier […] More
- Another Law Firm for Kim DotcomInternet entrerpreneur Kim Dotcom’s ongoing battle to avoid extradition to the United States has […] More
- If 2020 Was Tough for Kiwi Lawyers – It May Have Been Even More Tough for The NZ Law SocietyLaw Society Posts a $3 Million Loss after a ‘challenging year’ The Law Society […] More
- The 15-Hour Workdays And Ongoing Issue of Lawyer BurnoutLawyer burnout is a major problem for law firms globally, but it’s not an inevitability More
- ‘You’re The Reason God Gave Us a Middle Finger’ – Abusive Emails Achieve Suspension For LawyerLaw Society Tribunal suspends lawyer for misconduct over abusive emails sent to litigant From […] More
- Buddle Findlay’s #MeToo Moment – Concern Over Claim of Big Law Partner’s Inappropriate ConductDespite the furore over the Russell McVeagh conduct that is now – some three […] More