While the Johnny Depp libel trial has wrapped up in the UK, at the heart of the trial is Lower Hutt-born tabloid editor Dan Wootton, who is executive editor of The Sun newspaper and host of talkRADIO’s drivetime show but who also at the centre of the claim by Depp for the 2018 article which referred to Depp as a “wife-beater”.
The article at the heart of Johnny Depp’s libel claim was written by Wootton for his weekly column in the newspaper.
Depp sued the tabloid’s publisher, News Group Newspapers (NGN) and its Dan Wootton over the article which alleged he was violent towards his ex-wife, Amber Heard, 34, and labelled him a “wife beater”.
Barrister David Sherborne, who recently represented Meghan Markle and Prince Harry in their unsuccessful claim representing Depp, 57, had told the court the action has been brought because the newspaper and Wootton “chose to publish this extremely serious allegation” which Mr Depp has always maintained is “completely untrue”.
Wootton also presents the weekday Drivetime show on talkRadio and has his own podcast – The Dan Wootton Interview.
A showbiz reporter for many years, before joining The Sun, Wootton had stints at a number of newspapers and magazines, including the Daily Mail, where he also worked as a columnist, and the now defunct News Of The World, where he was Showbiz Editor.
Dan Wootton on the Sussexes
Read More On LawFuel Here
- Expect class actions to become more common after the Supreme Court decision in Ross v Southern Response.Chapman Tripp – The Court found that the “opt out” class action – where […]
- The Criminal Lawyer-Turned-AuthorLawFuel’s recent article on alternative careers for those with legal qualifications saw huge interest […]
- Supreme Court Agrees on ‘Opt Out’ Class ActionsThe Supreme Court in the Southern Response Earthquake Services Ltd v Ross appeal has unanimously […]
- Nick Williams Joins Britomart ChambersNick Williams has joined Britomart Chambers as a barrister sole. Formerly a litigation partner […]
- Cathy Quinn Appointed to Fonterra BoardMinterEllisonRuddWatts consultant, Cathy Quinn ONZM, has been appointed to the board of Fonterra. Prior […]
- Chris Finlayson QC To Receive Honorary Doctorate in Law After Fighting for Maori RightsFormer Attorney General Chris Finlayson QC is to receive an honorary doctorate of Law […]
- The Power-Lifting, In-House Lawyer Who Dismisses a Harvey Specter Comparison & Rises To CEOIt was not difficult for in-house lawyer Patrick Gamble to shrug off a comparison […]
- Patrick Gamble Named CEO of Perpetual Guardian GroupPatrick Gamble has been named CEO of the Perpetual Guardian Group, a collection of […]